Chapter 12

Severus sat in silence as Bruce gently tended to his injured forehead. The cool touch of the cloth against his temple brought him some comfort, but it didn't soothe the hurricane of thoughts in his mind.

He couldn't stop thinking about James. He was always there, invading his thoughts and refusing to fade away. It was impossible for Severus to forget about him.

James made him happier, he couldn't deny that. The years of hiding his feelings for James resurfaced effortlessly whenever he succeeded in making Severus smile. Until Severus learned that James had been nice to him only because he wanted Lily. Those feelings were back in a box, locked and thrown away.

All the smiles, the acts of kindness, and the affection James had shown him were all fake. He felt pathetic, disgusted even. How could Severus Snape be swayed by someone who targeted him for so long?

What had happened at lunch today meant nothing. James had only helped him to impress Lily, not out of genuine concern. It was a harsh reality that Severus had to face.

Lost in his thoughts, Severus hadn't even noticed the tears welling up in his eyes. A finger gently brushed his cheek, and his focus went back to Bruce.

"Does it hurt too much?" He asked, frowning. Severus shook his head "Don't worry, they won't be able to hurt you once the Dark Lord kills them"

Severus smiled faintly, causing Bruce to grin in response. They had argued a lot, but somehow, they always managed to have casual conversations afterwards, as if they hadn't told each other to kill themselves a minute ago. Both him and Bruce was well aware how peculiar their friendship is.

Just like earlier at breakfast-where Severus almost snapped his neck, yet Bruce appeared nonchalant about it and tended his cut. Severus knew there was something off about Bruce, but then again, so are most Slytherins, including himself.

"Thanks, Bruce" Severus mumbled as he finished healing his gash. It was something he never quite got used to, Bruce being unexpectedly nice.

"No problemo" Bruce winked at him "Now, mind telling me what happened?"

Severus sighed as he ran a hand through his hair "We're late for class"

"Don't try to change the subject. Are you going to make me ask again?" He raised an eyebrow as he burnt the bloody cloth on his hand.

"Black was in his usual goofy mood. That's the rest of the story" Severus briefly explained.

"That was it?" Bruce asked, while Severus nodded.

"Well, are you coming to class with me?" He asked as he stood up from the floor.

Bruce rolled his eyes, and shook his head, lying on the soft mattress "Just tell Flitwick i'm not feeling well"

"Fine, i'll see you later" Severus muttered as he grabbed his bag.

"Bye, nerd!" He called out, receiving a middle finger from Severus before walking out the door.

Severus honestly didn't want to go to class after that incident with Sirius but he didn't want to risk his attendance getting affected. It was already bad enough that he was 15 minutes late.

When he arrived at the Charms class, he muttered an apology for being late and informed the Professor that Bruce was sick. To his relief, the professor didn't deduct any house points from them. Making his way to the back of the classroom, Severus took a seat next to Edmund.

He greeted him with a nod, which Severus returned, and focused his attention on the front of the class. He expected the stares coming from the Hufflepuffs and Slytherins. Evan, who sat beside Barty, was whispering his name, but Severus pretended not to hear, keeping his gaze fixed on the lesson.

Throughout the class, Severus remained focus. He answered a couple of questions Flitwick gave to make up from joining in late and handed in his work earlier than everyone else.
———————————————————————
James had woken up at Dinner time. The dorm was empty, indicating that his friends were in the Great Hall. He wanted to stay in bed and get back to sleep, but his stomach growled in hunger as he had not eaten lunch earlier.

He fixed his hair and straightened his uniform in front of the mirror to at least look presentable before facing everyone. Opening the door, he was surprised to find Sirius standing just outside.

Their eyes met, and both tensed. The two didn't know what to say so they just continually to stand and stare awkwardly.

"Um" Sirius cleared his throat "Here, brought you some dinner"

James glanced at the plate on his hands, filled by his favorite dishes "Thanks.." He replied, accepting it with a wan smile.

James walked back to his bed and placed the plate down. The atmosphere felt heavy, it was unusual for things to feel so uneasy between them.

"Look, i'm going to cut to the chase" Sirius spoke up, and James turned to face him "Prongs, i'm sorry"

He nodded and simply said "Okay, i forgive you"

Sirius's eyes widened in surprise "Legit?" He asked, taking a step closer.

"If.." James continued "You apologize to Severus"

The way Sirius' jaw dropped so fast almost made James crack a smile.

"Apologize to Sni-Snape?" Sirius repeated in disbelief "Come on, man. That's too much"

James shrugged and sat on his bed and ate the food "Fine, suit yourself" From his peripheral vision, Sirius continued to stare at him.

After a moment of silence, he let out a groan "When do you want me to apologize?"

James finished chewing a bite of his dinner before responding. He swallowed and looked up at Sirius "Now, bring Remus and Peter with you"

Sirius let out a sigh of relief and nodded "Alright"

James doubted him at how easy he gave in. He'll just ask the other two if they had gone with Sirius when they came back.

Sirius closed the door behind him and leaned back against it, cursing to himself. He had prepared an entire essay in his mind, ready to explain to James why he was apologizing, only to find out that James wouldn't need it. But apparently, Severus will.

"So? How did it go?" Peter asked. Him and Remus were waiting just outside the room. Although they had been disappointed with him, they were the one who planned how Sirius could apologize to James.

"He wants us to apologize to Severus" Sirius said, crossing his arms.

A synchronised "Oh" escaped from both Peter and Remus, their eyebrows raised in surprise.

"I was planning to, anyway" Remus sighed softly "Come on"

"What am i going to say?" Sirius whined "Fuck! I'm not prepared for this!" Anxiety washed over him.

Remus locked arms with Peter and Sirius then dragged them "Don't worry, we'll figure it out"

On the way to the Great Hall, Sirius was filled of dread. He doesn't want to apologize to Snape, but James probably won't forgive him ever again and that's just stupid! He's going to risk their friendship over someone they hated for years?

Thankfully, Severus was still on the table. The trio sat back at their table and glance at him while they talk to other Gryffindors.

"Today's Potions class was tough, huh?" Sirius began, Lily simply nodded in response. He wondered if she still despised them, with the exception of James.

Lily and him weren't that close, but they still engaged in short conversations. He never quiet understand how she managed to both dislike and talk to them at the same time, but he didn't mind. Lily was fun to talk to, however, it seemed like she wasn't in the mood today.

A gentle nudge from Remus's foot under the table caught Sirius's attention. He tore his eyes away from Lily and turned to Remus, who nodded in the direction of Severus. The three of them stood up and followed Severus as he made his way out of the Great Hall.