Chapter 9

Happy Pride Month to all the lgbtq+ people reading my story. I hope you all are having a great day! To the straights too, of course, can't have ya'll feeling left out🙏🙏
———————————————————————
Remus waited impatiently for James in the common room. He hadn't had a chance to talk to him the previous night as he went to bed early, and he clearly understood why.

Lost in his thoughts, Remus was startled when James finally entered the common room. He looked worn-out, and it pained Remus to see his friend in such a state.

"Oh, Moony" James showed a weak smile "Good Morning"

"James" Remus spoke softly, observing him carefully as he sat beside him.

There was a short silence between them, with the crackling fire in front providing the only sound. Remus adjusted himself to face James with a genuine worry on his face.

"Talk to me" He urged quietly. James continued to stare at the fire "Listen, Prongs. I'm here for you. Whatever shit you're going through, we'll solve it together"

James let out a sigh as his tired eyes met Remus' concerned gaze "I don't know where to start" He said in the smallest voice Remus had ever heard from him.

"Start from the beginning, James. Take your time. I'm here to listen" Remus laid a gentle hand on his shoulder. James gave him a shaky smile, looking like he was about to tear up.

"I.." He took a deep breath, organizing his thoughts "Promise me..you'll still be my friend after this?"

"Of course, James. I'll always be your friend, you know that" Remus squeezed his shoulder reassuringly, while James nodded nervously.

James looked around the room first before casting a spell to create an invisible barrier around them, so no one could hear their conversation. The common room was empty besides them, but it was better to be safe than sorry.

"Remus, i developed feelings for Severus" He stated anxiously "I'm not..totally gay, you know? I still like girls, i guess? I mean, i still find Lily and the others pretty" He rambled, and Remus let him for a moment.

James felt like his heart was about to burst from nerves. Remus didn't look disturbed or disgusted..he just looked like Remus, his friend who always looked kind and compassionate.

"Prongs" Remus interrupted gently "It's fine, you hear me? I'm not going to end our friendship because you like people with dicks. That's the dumbest thing i could have ever done"

James suddenly barked out a laugh. The weight that had been pressing down on James's shoulders seemed to lighten. Remus couldn't help but feel a sense of relief wash over him as well.

"Yeah and doubting you was the dumbest thing i did" James said, his laughter subsiding. He met Remus' gaze with gratitude in his eyes "Thank you, Moons"

Remus grinned "You don't have to thank me, friends support each other through ups and downs. Now, tell me about Severus"

James bit the insides of his cheek, gathering his thoughts as he began to share more about his feelings for Severus. He talked about when it started, how it just appeared, and they day he apologized.

Remus listened attentively, and honestly, the way he talked about him made him realized just how James really liked Severus.

"He's really impressive now that i've thought about it. If i wasn't just blinded by my immaturity" James sighed sadly "Everything was going great between us, until..." He paused, recalling the events earlier "Until i messed it all up"

Remus furrowed his eyebrows "What happened?"

James swallowed a lump on his throat "News spreads quickly around Hogwarts. Severus figured out what happened last night, and he assumed that..i only apologized so i could get Lily"