chapter two: the golden child arrives

Morgan glanced anxiously at the clock. 

5:49 P.M.

"Is he still not answering his phone?" Hotch asked, following his gaze to the clock. 

"No," Morgan answered curtly. "That's not normal, is it?"

Rossi cut in, a wisened look on his features. "I think with his history we'll always take these things to the extreme." 

"He's never late if he can help it." Penelope agreed, siding with Morgan. "He always answers his phone. He knows how much we worry."

"True, but he's also forgetful. And twenty-seven years old. Maybe he finally started acting like it." 

"Yeah, right." Emily snorted. "You know, I drank a whole bottle of wine and somehow you're still calmer about this." 

"I just have a feeling. I think he's fine. But," Rossi added, "If it will calm everyone down, I agree we should go find him."

"You're probably right. I just can't help but worry." JJ frowned.

Rossi nodded. "And that's understandable. To be honest, I'm feeling a bit anxious about it, too. But, I know that the odds of him being in trouble are low. Lower than usual, in fact, with him being off duty.  Even if he's not in trouble, we need to find him-- the pasta's almost ready." 

The team got to their feet. "Where do we start?"

"You're profilers, aren't you?" Penelope asked. 

As if it was any other case, the team jumped into action. 

JJ started. "What would keep him from answering his phone?"

"Lost it."

"Forgot to charge it."

"It got stolen."

"It's on silent?"

"And what would keep him from coming here?"

"Didn't air his bike tires, it got stolen, he got lost--"

"He got kidnapped..."

Silence spread over the group. 

"Maybe we should just give his old apartment a visit." Emily murmured. 

Unanimous agreement. 

"Alright, team, load up." 

"Wheels... forward?"

By the time they had arrived at the old apartment, Penelope was starting to enter real panic. 

"He's not even going to be here, we already know that he was supposed to move out today, we should--"

"Calm down, dollface, we need to start at the beginning of the trail." Morgan jumped out of the car with Hotch right behind him. The two led the group straight to his door. 

"No bike." Emily commented, looking at the deserted rack. 

Hotch knocked. 

As expected...

No answer. 

He knocked again. 

No--

The door swung open. 

A short woman stood in the doorway and started at the sight of six people standing on her doorstep. 

"Sorry to bother." Hotch stated simply, and walked back to the car. The team followed, leaving the woman dumbstruck. 

"Shouldn't we ask her questions or something?" JJ asked.

Rossi shook his head. "Hotch and I looked into her when Spencer said he was going to give his apartment to her."