Chapter twenty-eight

"You're not even trying to hide your arm, aren't you?" I looked at Nicolas's forearm which was covered in small crescents from my nails

"You're not even trying to hide your arm, aren't you?" I looked at Nicolas's forearm which was covered in small crescents from my nails. He smirked as he looked down and instead of covering them, rolled up the sleeves of his shirt, displaying the scars even further. "Show-off," he grabbed my hand from the other side of the table and squeezed it gently.

"Should I remove my shirt entirely and show the scars you left on my back?" He teased.

"No, I don't want anyone lusting over you," he looked at me apologetically.

"Sweetheart, they already are," I rolled my eyes as a smile crept on my face. "How was your day?" He asked as I took a sip of my white wine.

Nicolas took me to a botany park in the city which had a beautiful cafe on the premises. He went so far as to rent out a gazebo on a small pond with swans swimming all around. We weren't completely in private as people could see us from further away but there were security guards placed around us, so we were as safe as we could be.

The gazebo stood elegantly before us, constructed from pristine white wood and adorned with a gracefully rounded glass roof. Delicate vines of light pink roses cascaded over its sides, enveloping it in an enchanting embrace. As we arrived at this breathtaking sight, a wave of emotions overwhelmed me, and I was on the verge of tears. Deep within, I cherished roses, understanding the profound significance they held for him, even though they might have evoked painful memories. Yet, despite it all, he found the strength to sit beside me in this picturesque haven.

"It was fine," I decided to keep the information I found out about Eduardo to myself for a little bit longer. I knew that he already made a deal with Allegra and once that was done, I would show him all of the proof he needed. I was the first to find out three years ago from Eduardo's own lips and I would be the first to let this all backfire on him. I was just surprised that I was able to push him into revealing it all that easily. "Nothing very relevant occurred but I did get a dress for tomorrow," Nicolas smiled before taking a sip of his own wine.

Tomorrow would be the final official celebration of the engaged couple, that would mark three days until the big day. Vittoria wasn't booming with joy about it but was glad that she would have more of her friends there. This ball wouldn't have as many business partners or mafia associates, thus, making this much less formal and intimate.

"What colour?"

"Black," his brows rose with interest as I smiled. I would've chosen red but changed my mind last minute. I wasn't trying to make some statement and I wanted Nicolas to be on his best behaviour.

Red drove him mad, apparently.

"Like the queen of death?" I smiled.

"Like the secret queen of death," I added, making him grin.

"Damn right, you are," his hand squeezed mine tighter. I felt his finger gently caressing my ring finger, making that warm feeling in my chest spread even wider. "Expect a dance with me," he said, intriguing me.