CHAPTER THREE: DEPARTMENT STORE

Start from the beginning

Julia rolled her eyes as the others panicked for a stranger, she instead went to the quarry and bathed in her full outfit again. As she ran a generous amount of soap through her curly and unruly brunette hair the girl felt watched but shrugged it off.

It's not like she was naked anyway but if she caught a man coming down here she'd surely drown them if they tried to put a move in her in the water.

As the girl washed the shampoo out she again got the sensation of being watched but again shrugged it off as she got out of the water and put her combat boots on.

With that natural swing to her hips Julia walked up to the camp and the sensation of being watched went away making her relax. Grabbing dry clothes she changed in the Rv as other bickered outside in how they should be preventing people from going to the city.

Some were for it others were against it.

Julia didn't care as long as she lived long enough to get high again off heroine or even cocaine. Right now she was clean but- her thoughts would go to the next time she got high.

Daryl Dixon returned with squirrels before going out claiming to have spotted tracks for a whole ass deer. He didn't tell the group when he would be back but he looked to pack enough for the night or two.

If things couldn't get worse their group got stuck in the department store and Shane wouldn't send anyone to help.

He claimed they knew the risks making Julia make a face but keep to herself. Not her problem.

"My daddy is stuck in that store." Raya cries and that's when Julia looks up from her normal spot on the ground to see the small blonde kids eyes filled with treats looking at Shane.

He kneels down to her level as her lip trembles.

"Look- sweetheart there's nothing we can do okay? They could still figure out a way back we just gotta wait for em." He tries to say but the girl shakes her head and runs off into the woods making several adults call to her.

With a sigh Julia stands and makes her way following the young girl like the others did. Most went spread out but Julia just kept walking straight not venturing even the slightest bit left or right.

There she found Raya sat on a large boulder sniffling.

Julia didn't know what to do or say so she simply sat next to Raya making the blonde look up at her with tears still in her eyes.

Julia and her didn't talk at first just sat.

"My mommy died by those things. Daddy had to get her off me before she bit me." The girl softly mumbles as Julia stares at their surroundings to make sure none of said monsters approached.

"Now daddy's gonna die too and- I won't have anyone." The girl cries harder as Julia stares at her sadly. A comforting hand rests on Raya's back and pats making Julia take a deep breathe she wasn't good with maternal stuff. She wasn't good at comforting.

"You have the group of adults, Carl, and Sofia." Julia says slowly making the girl calm down a little before her big brown eyes looked to Julia expectedly.

"And you?" She asks and Julia felt her heart jump to her throat.

"And me." Julia mutters making the girl smile softly and lean against Julia making her body go rigid at the soft touch. "Do you promise? Daddy says it's bad to break promises." The little girls voice is muffled and Julia felt her throat close up.