"She went out on an errand," Deiji simply answered. Tilting his head to the side, Sungchan observed her thoroughly.

He knew the relationship Deiji shared with her mother and he also knew that it was one that Deiji wasn't a fan of. But for the longest time he believed that there is so much to it that Deiji doesn't know.

"You know you should be kind to your mum. Everyone goes through things'' he slowly spoke out in hope she would understand. Instead all he got in response was an incredulous scoff.

She had always been the type of person who believes what she sees but never delves deeper to understand something. He thought that this may have been the same situation. A part of him also thought that it is best to not voice his opinion because it's not his place to intervene into her family business.

Yet Sungchan had known Deiji since nursery and while growing up he watched as their relationship gradually drifted away. He can probably write a whole book on it. "You know being a single mum must've been difficult," he stated. But Deiji seemed extremely disinterested. She was muttering some words under her breath in annoyance.

Trust me, she just doesn't care about me at all

"Deiji, I want to say something. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to step in but just think about it . . ok?" momentarily looking over to him through her peripheral view Deiji continued to mind her own business. However, she did listen to him even though she pretended that she wasn't.

Sungchan did not need to doubt whether she was paying attention, he knew her all too well. Therefore he spoke his thoughts out. He wasn't sure if it would help or not. But he decided to give his advice even if she doesn't take it. After all it's her choice.

"Sometimes people hide their true emotions. And I believe that perhaps your mum is too. From what I hear from you and what I observed over these many years I've noticed that your mother never speaks about herself or how she feels. Don't you think so?" His words sent Deiji to stop what she was doing. She wasn't sure where he was heading with his but his words seem to be nothing but the truth. Falling back, Deiji realised that maybe he was onto something. Her mother never did talk a lot about herself. She barely knows anything about her mothers past.

Noticing her wavering orbs, Sungchan's lips etched up unnoticeable after realising that she was actually thinking about it. Sitting up straight he hummed lightly before carrying on. "To me it seems like she actually does care about you even though you think she doesn't. Maybe she's just not good at showing it?" he carefully spoke out observing her thoroughly. Visually he could spot Deiji's features change into a judging one. It looked like she disagreed. Not wanting to piss her off Sungchan hurriedly gave an example in hope she'd see his point of view. "She bought you cake because you love cake. Maybe that's her way of showing that she loves you."

From the bottom of her heart, she found him spewing utter nonsense.

Ridiculous - she grumbled mentally.

Simply rolling her eyes she snapped her head over to him. "I called you to help me not give me a lecture" the infuriated expression and vexation that eased off her tongue was something that he anticipated to see sooner or later.

Despite her words that targeted him, Deiji knew that he wasn't the one she was furious at.

She was furious at herself. She did not know where it came from but she never felt this way about herself. And it grew unconditionally. A sense of guilt. Culpability that he might be right.

Deiji detested that. Because that would mean that she had been wronging her mum all this time. It would mean that the problem was actually her all along. Instead she had always blamed her mother.

Pressing her lips into a thin line, she furrowed her brows feeling this sickening sensation deep inside her develop.

Sungchan began to regret telling the girl all this after watching her reaction. However, he also believed that it was for the best. Inhaling, he shifted closer and lifted the box that sat in front of her.

"Let's get this open shall we?"

"I've been trying since yesterday night with everything but it's impossible!" groaning Deiji complained childishly.

Smirking, he tutted his head. "Try using a hair pin" cocking a brow the girl shoved him lightly. "Then why don't you try" nodding he placed the water bottle aside.

"I will but what is it anyway?" he eventually asked. He hadn't even received an explanation as to what it was and why it was to her utmost importance out of nowhere. Cheerfully smiling, Deiji's eyes shone keenly.

"I found it under my mum's bed. I've never seen it before and I feel like she's hiding something" she shrugged, not entirely sure. She mainly wanted to open it to pass time because she was actually kind of bored.

Humming, Sungchan ran his finger delicately over the top of the box before stating, "Calamander"

"What?" Deiji questioned in confusion. "It's a type of wood. This box is made of it" he tilted his head a little intrigued. He examined it with awe. Humming she nodded her head disinterestedly and glanced over to the hammer. "I'm breaking it"

Standing up, Deiji grasped the hammer and walked back towards him. Seeing what she was up to, Sungchan protectively threw himself over the box and vigorously shook his head. "Are you crazy?! It's an antique. You don't find these storage boxes anymore"

"So it's expensive" the girl gasped as a new idea tiptoed into her mind. "Don't you dare sell it!" he pressed down. Groaning Deiji sighed. "But I want to know what's inside!"

"What if you break the things inside. What if there are delicate items" grunting out in frustration she let go of the hammer and sulked. Dropping her body onto the ground, she kicked her legs out in frustration and threw her arms in the air.

Her infantile actions were not new to him. Instead it lifted a relieving smile off him. Backing away slowly, Sungchan sat up straight, a little relaxed. However, he let out a wince when she slapped his arm aggressively. "How are we supposed to open it now then?" she felt hopeless.

Letting out a thoughtful hum, Sungchan tilted his head to the side and lifted the box up. Deiji carefully took in all his movements as he spun it around to examine every little corner until he paused suddenly. "What is it?" the girl asked, leaning closer. He stared at the bottom of the box endearingly. However it did not last long.

With an unamused expression he glanced up at her dumbfounded. Confused, Deiji cocked a brow but everything made sense after what he had done. Twisting the box around a little so that she can also watch, he presented a little square shaped engraving that was at the back. Before she could even question what it was, Sungchan pushed it lightly with his fingers allowing it to flip open. It was a little door that happened to hide the key.

Jaw dropping, Deiji shot her sight over to him. Exhaling harshly Sungchan shook his head at her stupidity with a disappointed expression.

"How was I supposed to know that?!"

What do you guys think is inside the box? 

And what do think will happen once it's open?