CHAPTER ONE: LIFE IS A HIGHWAY

Start from the beginning

"My names Shane Walsh. I'm a cop okay- I need everyone to remain calm. I'll go try and see what's happenin but if I don't come back in the next 30 minutes I need you all to gather what you can and get the hell out of here." The cop commands before running with a woman chasing him and leaving her son with some random family.

"Are you alone?" The boy asks Julia making her side eye him and clench her jaw not speaking.

That's another thing about Julia. She doesn't speak.

"I like your knifes they look cool." He says looking at her swords making the girls face not even so much as twitch.

The kid kept bombarding her with questions but the woman never spoke once just staring at him blankly.

He didn't seem to notice as he kept thinking of different things to ask her, the little girl next to him kept her gaze down making Julia eye her here and there.

"My names Carl what's yours?" He asks expecting an actual answer this time but Julia just stares at him still.

It was kind of starting to freak him out.

"I'm hungry." The boy suddenly says looking at his fathers car before deflating knowing they didn't have any food.

"Here let me get you somethin to eat." The little girls mother says before she goes around the car but her husband follows and seems to whisper something harshly grabbing her.

Julia didn't say anything as she turned around and opened one of her many bags.

Walking back over to the two kids she merely holds up two packages of fruit cups. "THANKS!" Carl squeals grabbing him and the girl digging in as Julia nods before turning away to lean on her truck.

From the corner of her eye she can see the vocal redneck aggressively muttering to who had to be his brother with how alike they looked. His eyes flicking where the cop went, something told Julia he had a thing against authority.

But so did she.

As if feeling her gaze the two brothers turn to look at her but Julia looks around with a blank emotionless face. Her eyes catching a father trying to cheer his daughter up as she looks scared and has tears in her eyes.

He had blood on his shirt making Julia wonder if it was the mothers or his own.

The little girl peers up with a sniffle before her eyes catch Julia and they both seem to stare at the other.

Suddenly the sounds of something in the sky makes everyone stand up straighter and look up. It was some sort of aircraft's probably helicopters judging by the noise all side by side going to the city.

Julia felt herself pushing of the truck and watching with everyone else they all seemed to drop something all over as they spread out.

Bombs.

The explosions made Julia's eyes widen in realization that the city must not be safe despite the supposed shelter and army presence.

Someone stood a little too close behind Julia for her liking making her step away and glare as the louder redneck brother smiled down at her. "Guess that means the city's over run with them geeks. Means we'll all have to go somewhere else sweet tits.... I'd love to go where you do." He flirts shamelessly as if the city hadn't just been blown up.

Again Julia didn't say anything but the roll of her eyes and the glare she shot his way was enough of a fuck off gesture. But she threw her finger up too just to ensure it came across clear.