27- The break- in

Start from the beginning

Adrian sits up and scrunches his nose. "No, they can't believe that. How do you know if it?"

"Prince Eion of the Elven Kingdom has told me that himself. Actually, he told me this story on a night much like this." I sigh and look up and smile at the memory.

"You're friends with him?"

"Yes, we often wrote letters. You see, I'm interested in Southern curses and they are a great nation with much mystery. He tells me it's not proven and like us, we do not know the exact details of who started the curses, but that is what they believe."

"Wow," he sighs and rests his head on his arm and turns his full body to me. "Where else have you gone?"

Before I can answer his question, the door knocks and by the sound of it, it sounds urgent. I wave my hand and the door opens to reveal Kramer. He raises his brow when he sees the Prince, but ignores him and runs to me.

"Master, there's an emergency. You need to come quickly." He breathes. My drunk mind sobers up and I nod, standing up and reaching for my robe I took off.

"Alright, take me there. Prince Adrian, it was a pleasant night. Please rest and prepare for the first day of term." I bow to Adrian who is still seated on my floor. I look to Kramer and he says we need to go to the room of curses.

I nod and snap my fingers, transporting the both of us to the room. When I get there, I see that there are more guards than usual. "Kramer, what happened?"

The guards step to the side and reveal a man clenched in a ball with blood pooling around him. I see the doors are open and I freeze. Fucking Elric did it, he stole a cursed item, but he injured one of my men.

"You," I point to the nearest soldier. "Take him to the Medbay. Now, tell me what happened and if anything was taken."

A mage steps forward and I recognize him as one of my men. He has a sheet of papers with him and he looks up at me. He tells me it was a single cursed item, a gold mirror that showed you all the riches you could have and it guarantees that it will come true. Now, it sounds like a great curse, however, all the gold that comes from your hand. Everything you touch turns to gold. One cannot eat, one cannot drink, one cannot wear comfortable clothes, one cannot live a normal life.

The fun part about this is that the mirror itself is a holy artifact that we hold because of the curse. That mean, I need to alert the Church and get my brother's help to find this cursed item. Between the two of us, he can legally search for item and find it in Duke Dolan's possession.

"Alright, I'll notify the Grand Sorcerer and Master Loid. No one else will no what has occurred." I say, staring down the guards.

"Master," Kramer steps forward. "It's customary that-"

"Tonight is the first night that the children are here. Parents have just left their children in one of the safest places in this country. No child was injured and hopefully the guard lives. I do not want anyone to be scared, they should be happy to start their term. Only those who need to know will know, let's not bring unnecessary worry."

Kramer nods and I ask for him to settle everything, make sure that nothing else has been stolen and to check on the man in the medbay. He nods and I teleport to Milo's office.

I see he's sleeping on his couch, a book on his chest and the candle is almost dead, creeping towards the bottom. I slowly walk to him, making sure that I don't make much sound.

I take off the book and this movement wakes him up. He gives me a dazed, confused look. I sit back, watching him rise to a seating position and yawning widely.