∣ 001; c a m p

. *. ⋆

Athena huffed, tossing random clothes into her luggage— the luggage she was forced to pack for the summer camp that she was being forced to attend.

Her parents had signed her up for it— they said that she needed to become more adventurous and be involved with nature. Athena didn't understand what they meant by that because, as far as she was aware, she was adventurous, and she was always out in nature.

Though, her pleas to her parents were useless.

They told her that since her brothers— Percy and Wyatt— were going to a different summer camp for gifted children, she had to at least go to a camp that would help her become more social and help her discover her abilities.

The summer camp she would be staying at— Rim of the World— would surely not help her discover anything.

Actually, Athena takes that back— it will probably help her discover possible ways she could kill herself.

"Are you ready yet, Athena?"

Groaning, Athena zipped up her bag, lugging it over her shoulder while she slipped her earbuds in, pressing play on her music, the song "i was all over her" filling her ears.

"Yes!"

She walked down the stairs slowly, cueing up her dramatics. Dropping her luggage at the base of the stairs, Athena brought the back of her hand to her forehead.

"Mom— I think I'm getting sick. Aww— that means I can't go to camp."

"Get in the car, Thena."

"Fine," She grumbled, scooping up her bag and bringing it outside, stowing it away in the trunk where her brothers' bags were already.

Then, she opened the back door, climbing in and over Wyatt.

"Hey— get off!"

"I'm trying to get to my seat, dickwad— "

Her dad turned around, "Language, Theens."

"I don't care if you're trying to get to your seat— you can go through the trunk instead of putting your stupid feet on my stomach!"

"Oh, I'm sorry— " Athena began, ready to make a sarcastic comment, but her mom— who just entered the car— gave her a stern look, signaling her to stop.

Wyatt turned around, sticking his tongue out at Athena. She flipped him off, took out her phone, and clicked on a game to start the six-hour car ride to Southern California. She dreaded the whole ride— it would be terrible specifically because it was 6 a.m., which meant that Wyatt would snore the entire way to Rim of the World.

About two hours in, Percy rotated his body to the back row and handed Athena his phone.

"Finish this level for me— I can't get through it— the zombies keep getting me."

She sighed, taking her twin's phone from his hands, finishing the level with ease before handing it back to him.

"Thank you, Thena. Who knows, maybe while at camp, you'll save everyone from zombies or something. Then, you can go to camp with us next year."

Snorting out a laugh filled with bitterness, Athena nodded, "Yes, because I can't attend for any other reason."

Her mom up in the front seat turned as well, adding to the conversation, "Well, this upcoming school year, work a bit harder, honey! Don't be lazy like last year— you're incredibly smart; you just don't use your full potential."