𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑛𝑖𝑛𝑒

CHAPTER NINE
Damage Is Done

"Okay, gentlemen, this is hop 31. Two weeks to graduation. TOPGUN trophy is still up for grabs, so every point counts." Jester told them, engines starting roaring.

    Kate stayed at the base, crossing her arms, making sure the radio was on to hear the pilots. She drank her coffee, immediately feeling a sense of happiness.

    "Well, it's bottom of the ninth, the score is tied. It's time for the big one." Nick stated.

    "You up for this one, Maverick?" Ice asked.

    "Just a walk in the park, Kazansky." Pete replied.

    "Contact. Multiple bogies, 1-6-5. Two miles. Looks like they're going away from us." Slider informed.

    "Oh, I see them, tallyho, right 2 o'clock. I'm in." Pete responded to Slider.

    "I'm in." Ice stated.

    Kate looked at the screen with the radar, then looked out from the window out of instinct. Not that she could see the F-14s or F-5s.

    "That son of a bitch cut me off." Pete muttered about Ice, making Kate laugh. "Come on, come on. Jesus Christ. Ice, take the shot." He continued.

    "Come on, Ice, get the hell out of there." Goose told him.

    "I can't get the angle. I'm too close for missiles. I'm switching to guns." Ice informed them.

    "Ice, fire or clear." Pete instructed. "Look at this! Jesus Christ, I can take a shot right here!" Pete ranted.

    "I need another twenty seconds, then I've got it." Ice told him.

    Kate groaned. For flight training, sure, you can manage to get away with those seconds, but sometimes in an actual fight, you can't get that extra time. Those extra seconds can count as your first few seconds of death.

    "I'm moving in. I've got the shot." Pete stated.

    "Come on, Mav, let's get in there! Come on, Mav!" Goose urged.

    "Maverick's getting impatient. Come on, take the shot." Slider told Ice.

    "Mitchell, impatient? Never heard of that before." Kate commented on the radio, making sure they could hear her.

    "Ten more seconds, then I've got him." Ice dismissed.

    "Come on, Ice, get the hell out of there! Let's do it, Mav." Goose told him, also getting impatient.

    " Ice, come off high right. I'm in." Pete ordered.

    "Five more seconds." Ice pleaded.

    "Come off high right, Ice. I'm in." Pete repeated.

    "I'm off. Shit!" Ice said, backing off.