11.

Eleven

Harry Styles

Day 9 of vacation

I woke up early today, determined to squeeze in a refreshing morning run before the day's activities kicked off. I checked on the girls before I left, the both of them were still sound asleep. It had been a few days since our first kiss, and things couldn't have been better.

There was no denying that there was dread coursing through my entire body leading up to the vacation. Facing my past and spending extended time with my family wasn't something I had eagerly anticipated- for obvious reasons. Even being away from work for this long felt uncomfortable at first. But now the thought of leaving this place filled me with uncertainty and anxiety.

In just six days, we would be back in our New York reality. Emery and I hadn't discussed what our relationship would be like once we returned. In fact, I wasn't entirely sure where we stood at this very moment.

But here's the truth: despite the absence of a defined label, we shared an unspoken connection. We understood each other on a deeper level, and for now, that was enough. We didn't need the confines of a specific title to define what we had. In this moment, everything about us felt perfect.

What would happen to us once returning home was uncertain. But here? Here, we're just us.

I was dripping sweat by the time I got back home. It was especially humid today, and my body was definitely feeling it.

"Hey," Emery was in the kitchen at the stove, Luna strapped into a high chair at the table with an iPad in front of her. "I'm making chocolate chip pancakes," Emery announced, lifting the pan for me to see. I smiled, stepping up behind her and planting a kiss on the side of her head.

"Ew, go shower. You reek," Emery teased, playfully covering her nose.

"Oh, really?" I mumbled against her, wrapping my sweaty arms around her body. She let out an exaggerated groan, squirming in my embrace to escape the sweaty clutches.

We had entered a new phase of our relationship, marked by playfulness, increased affection, and a sense of freedom. I couldn't get enough of her. Whenever we deemed it appropriate we'd sneak in kisses. I felt like a teenager with their first crush, sneaking make-out sessions on the couch and small touches here and there. The walls of worry and calculation had crumbled, allowing us to be more genuine and spontaneous with each other. There was no longer an on-and-off switch, no need to put on a facade of being a couple. We simply existed as we were, and it felt perfect. She is perfect.

"Save me a stack. I'll be right back," I mumbled reluctantly, forcing myself to let her go and cleanse myself of the perspiration and musky scent that covered my body.

We were set to swim with whale sharks today, something I wasn't initially keen on, but Emery had been really excited when Alec brought it up a few days ago. I would do anything to see Emery smile the way she did, so I was determined to stick it out, knowing how badly she wanted to experience it.

As the cold water cascaded over my sweaty body, I sighed in relief. Despite spending a week here, I still hadn't fully acclimated to the scorching heat. My body, accustomed to the New York climate, wasn't built for this temperature.

I could hear Emery singing to Luna as I dried myself off with the towel. Luna's laughter echoed over the soft melody coming from Emery. I threw on some gym shorts and a t-shirt, grabbing the last of my things that I'll need for the day before heading back towards the kitchen.

Emery had changed from her pajamas and was now wearing a lavender dress, her hair was pulled up out of her face and into a ponytail. An assortment of makeup was spread onto the kitchen table.