Chapter Twelve | Apples and Meat

Mr. Mallard and Stallion emerged from the woods a half an hour later. Stallion was carrying a few dead squirrels and rabbits over his shoulder. Neither of them had guns or anything that could have killed those animals.

But I didn't say anything. I remained sitting on the stairs by the backdoor where Kat had told me to sit. I didn't look at her once since she threatened to kill me, but I felt her looking at me.

"Good to see you are up, Foxy," Mr. Mallard's strained voice spoke up, making me look up from the ground to see him smiling at me. He had a long gash close to his ear but otherwise appeared fine. I looked away from it and saw that he was carrying a dead animal himself. It was a fox.

"How are you feeling?"

I didn't answer him. I stared at the dead fox, wondering if it was on purpose. If it was some twisted warning. Mr. Mallard waited for my response until it was apparent I wasn't giving one. His smile faded.

"What did Kat tell you," he said in his commanding voice, any trace of weakness gone.

I looked to his big eyes and shuddered as they stared down at me, un-blinking-- a frown set into those once friendly features. "I am going to need an answer, kit, an honest one."

Kit? He said it like an insult. What was that supposed to mean? The look he gave me was almost as bad as Kat's. I shrunk up under his gaze. I averted his glare. But I had a flicker of hope. He wouldn't like Kat threatening me with death. He didn't operate like that. Mr. Mallard was calm, restrained; he kept me at bay with kindness, not with threats.

"She said...that I was to do as I was told...or else..."

I didn't finish. I couldn't finish. His frown remained. "Then this is what it has come to. You really should have been patient; it would have made it easier for you. But now there is no time. You will make up for your disobedience this morning by collecting the apples that will be needed for dinner."

I only stared up at Mr. Mallard. This didn't sound like him at all. And that look in his eyes. It was like he had become an entirely different person.

A force hit me across the face hard enough to send me from the stairs into the ground. I held a hand to my face, it hurt worse than all the soreness in my muscles combined. Stallion and Kat were looking away from the scene. Mr. Mallard still had his hand up.

"I am your Master, kit. Do not look me in the eyes."

I watched his worn down, brown shoes as they ascended the stairs. Everything turned blurry as hot water ran down my cheeks.

"Now, I gave you an order. Do it and get out of my sights."

....

I grabbed a bright red apple. I didn't know how to tell if it was ripe so I squeezed it, and every one after it. If it didn't squish in my hand then I would drop it in the basket. I didn't bother to check if any of them had a safe landing.

Mutt was out there--maybe he was supposed to help me, but he just watched from his position at the top of the hill. I couldn't see him through the branches, but it didn't matter how far away he was.

We all knew I couldn't outrun him.

The sound of thunder rolled overhead as I picked out the last apple I could reach. I squeezed it and it resisted. I squeezed it harder and it remained firm. I gripped it tighter. My fingers broke the surface.

Why?

Rain started to fall from the leaves above me, the apples out of reach began to dance. The wind was cold, as it always was. I could no longer feel my hand gripping the apple, but I did not let go. It, my hand, my entire arm, my entire body, all of it shook uncontrollably.