* The Story behind ARTIFICIAL HORIZON *

If you've read the chapters entitled Timeline of AH's creation and Creating the world of AH, you'll understand the history and time and effort that I've made for this story to see the light of day. However, for this chapter, I'm heading on to explain the reason why I've chosen "Artificial Horizon" as the story's title; not just with the previous chapter, but also for its entirety.

Using the term "Dead Reckoning" from my other Filipino hero x Reader story, when creating this one, I've been avid to use another aviation term that I can correlate. To add, the story of César Basa was also one that highly revolved around aviation itself. However, I wanted a title that would leave an imprint the same way that it had been with DR; hence, when I was searching for the right aviation term... scrolling through an aviation dictionary, I came across this: Artificial Horizon.

What to expect out of an aviation dictionary? Of course, the term itself would be technical. Just read that description all over again.

"An instrument that displays the degree of pitch or bank of an aircraft relative to the horizon."

So... why? Why Artificial Horizon then?

Let me be a little technical for this one.

So, in flying, the horizon is our basis if we're climbing or descending. Of course, in the easiest description, horizon is the boundary line between the sky and the ground. In flying, when you're up above, it would appear that there is no horizon because it is all the endless and limitless sky. However, the horizon ensures that a plane is traveling in a straight-and-level flight; neither climbing nor descending nor banking to the left or right. Here comes then the so-called "artificial horizon"; to be exact, it is one of the six pack instruments that we call as "Attitude Indicator".

 Here comes then the so-called "artificial horizon"; to be exact, it is one of the six pack instruments that we call as "Attitude Indicator"

No, it didn't detect the pilot's attitude, but the plane's orientation or "attitude" in flight.

The very moment that I read the word "Artificial Horizon", I knew at once that it would be the title of this story.

Throughout the story, you've certainly realized that I've tried to balance the technical aspect of flying while still sticking to the truth; which was how boring our lives as pilots may be except for our travels and views of the skies and everything. And certainly, you've also realized two aspects that César and the Reader share.

Their responses of "Yours" and "Mine"; considering one another's "home"; and the addition of correlating César's words of affection behind the "Read my heart. Read my soul."

I know, you'll be telling me that, why not then a compass or the "heading indicator" or "magnetic compass", the instruments concerning compass itself? Aside from how cliché it had been, the sense of an artificial horizon is one that I actually attribute to César.

Despite it all, there is no doubt that César was in love with the sky. And the Reader kept him grounded and be reminded to still keep his feet on the ground.

Additionally, in flying, especially during instrument flying (being dependent on instruments and GPS alone than to look outside), the correct way of cross-checking the instruments and to avoid fixation is to always look at the Attitude Indicator (Artificial Horizon) and to the other gauges.

It will be like, look at the Attitude Indicator (Artificial Horizon) first, then to the Airspeed Indicator, then back to the Attitude Indicator; then to the Turn Coordinator, then back to the Attitude Indicator; then so on and so forth. In short, the Attitude Indicator (Artificial Horizon) is the central part of flying.

Another thing, when entering through turbulence or clouds, a pilot's general rule is to keep a level flight. A decrease or increase in airspeed and altitude or diversion from a heading due to a wind blowing the plane off its desired heading are all fine; but to keep that plane on its respective artificial horizon is essential.

And also...

Notice something on the instruments of the Boeing P-26A Peashooter that César and PAAC had used during World War II? Yes, there's the usual instruments that could be found in modern planes: the airspeed indicator, turn coordinator, heading indicat...

Notice something on the instruments of the Boeing P-26A Peashooter that César and PAAC had used during World War II? Yes, there's the usual instruments that could be found in modern planes: the airspeed indicator, turn coordinator, heading indicator, vertical speed indicator, altimeter, and tachometer. But there was no attitude indicator (artificial horizon)!

In the end, there's no other fitting title for a story about César Basa but Artificial Horizon itself.

Sorry for the long post of just some sort of rambling correlating AH and aviation; but, let's be honest, we can't take it away for a story as this. And aviation can't be taken away from me... nor from César and the rest of the Sixth Pursuit Squadron. :>

Ciao! 👀✌🏻🫣

Ciao! 👀✌🏻🫣

-Capt. J