𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓 . 𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐦𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬

【 𝐋𝐎𝐒𝐓 𝐌𝐄𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐒 】

【 𝐋𝐎𝐒𝐓 𝐌𝐄𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐒 】

"𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐋𝐈𝐁𝐑𝐀𝐑𝐘 𝐈𝐒 the only place in the whole house where it is relatively quiet" Ray headed towards a tall bookcase packed tightly with books. Various titles shimmered gold in the half-light of the library, casting single flashes of squiggly letters.

"That's true. The kids rarely come here" Y/n closed the door. Jemima's happy squeals could be heard from the hallway, and the clatter of Alicia's boots carried the game of tag into the building grounds. "Only Phil and Anna are regulars here"

"Mhm. Except for me, you and Norman. Younger children are forbidden to read books from the upper shelves without Mom's permission, so they don't even go to the second level" He pointed to a landing, extending from the walls around the entire library, serving as a kind of second floor from which one could reach the volumes stacked above. "Plus, since Rossi sprained his ankle while climbing up, they're not allowed to use that as well" He grabbed the ladder attached to the rack on the pegs and moved it so that he could climb up to the upper level. "It gave me a little bit of peace here" He stepped aside, indicating that the girl could enter first. "I'll hold the ladder for you." he suggested, taking his hands out of his pockets.

"Thanks" The e/c eyed girl grabbed a rung and pulled herself higher on the creaking ladder.

Ray appeared right after her and put the book he had brought all the way from outside onto a small table set below the ceiling-high bookshelf. Y/n involuntarily looked at the cover. Adventures of Ugo it said. The girl smiled at the memory, remembering how he once secretly read it to her when she had a cold and he had snuck into the infirmary. Just like Norman, Y/n was sick quite often, but usually it was nothing more serious than a runny nose and fever. That's probably why in the fall and winter, Ray always made sure she didn't go outside without a scarf. The boy never stopped caring for her...

"It's time to reveal my secret" He muttered, then leaned against the bookshelf piled high.

The girl, snapped out of her thoughts, walked past the scattered, unordered books lying on the floor and pushed one of the three simple chairs away. She hung an expectant look on the black-haired boy's face and clasped her hands under the table. A burning curiosity was eating her up inside.

"Do you know what childhood amnesia is?" he asked, crossing his arms over his chest. Seeing the girl trying to recall information read somewhere long ago, he added "Maybe I'll put it differently. What is your first memory of Grace Field House? How old were you then?"

"First Memory?" The girl rubbed her chin thoughtfully. "I remember..." she was silent for a few seconds, trying to pull out a foggy memory from the depths of her mind. Something screamed somewhere inside. In her head. A single flash crossed her mind suddenly and painfully. One memory set off an endless chain of events until she was sitting on a wooden chair in the orphanage library with Ray standing beside her. Everything passed as quickly as it had come, and Y/n only remembered feeling empty. She took a deep breath.