Chapter nine

"All of these dress links are available in the description, use Swa10 for upto ten percent discount." I smile at the camera, "Like, share and comment if you want a part two of affordable party wear dresses."

I stop the recording and am about to remove my dress by zipping it down when the door to my bedroom opens and my eyes widen in alert as I see Aarav entering the room with one of his mothers, Caroline.

"Oh lord, I'm so sorry for this sweetie," She says as she pushes her son out, "What are you looking at? Get out, Aarav, oh my God!"

"It's okay, auntie, you can come in, I need help with the zipper." I say and Caroline steps in, putting aside the keys, phone, a small purse and God knows what she could hold in a single hand. Caroline is one of the coolest but restless woman ever but I guess that's a given when your job requires your attention at all times of a day, even if you're in the middle of a meal or if you're in your own wedding.

She helps me with the zipper, handing me my casual long tee. I pulled it over in a second. "It feels like you both are growing up too quick, Swara. You were just ten, fighting with each other when I came over the last time-"

Rolling her eyes came in her wife, Kanchana as if sniffing the presence of her partner, "Keep exaggerating that way as if you didn't have a meal with all of us just the other night."

We all chuckle at that, it's true. My parents and aunties took turns to look after Aarav and me because of their schedules and it ends up feeling that way, not just for Caroline auntie but also us and honestly, sometimes it's not an exaggeration.

Caroline rolls her eyes. "They're graduating high-school this year."

"I've been tolerating you for nearly eighteen years?!" Cried Kanchana auntie and we all double over in laughter.

"Are we getting that old? No, think we need to get botox or something," Caroline auntie looks at her reflection in my floor length mirror. She turns to me with a dreamy sigh. "But oh, youth! You know I'm the coolest parent here and you won't be getting any younger, and us? Never. Tell me, any crushes? Boyfriends?"

Kanchana auntie rolls her eyes. "Let the girl breathe, Cars."

I shake my head. "Sorry to disappoint you but I'm happy being single with more income than any man twice my age."

Caroline auntie kisses my temple. "That's why we're so proud of you, beta. Aarav should learn a thing or two from you."

"I heard that!" A grunt comes from the hallway and I shake my head at my best friend. "Can we eat dinner? I'm starving!"

And so we do, with my mother making us a quick stir fried rice, kissing my hair, she leaves with my dad waiting for her in the car. After they leave, we sit down as Kanchana auntie serves us.

And not minutes after the dinner, they retreat to their house which is a floor above ours. Aarav stays back as it's still early and offers to help me edit my video and I smile gratefully at his back because he'd laugh at me if I do to his face. But sometimes I'm so grateful, just for his presence, just for his company. I didn't tell him about Varsh yet and I will, but ranting about my rejection didn't feel important in his soothing presence.