Natasha halts in her tracks for a moment, pulling out her phone. "I have to talk to her, Yelena, I-"

"No." Yelena says sternly from her place on the couch. "Give me your phone."

Natasha shakes her head, avoiding eye contact at all costs. She slots her phone back into her pocket and continues to pace.

"Natalia." Her patient voice startles Natasha. How she remains so calm in 911 situations will forever remain a mystery to her. "Just stop." It's calm, quiet and well kept together. And it does exactly as she intended.

Natasha stops.

"I can't just delete her number. We're still teammates. We- I mean, I still have to see her. Everyone has everyone's number right? It's just normal." She scolds herself for letting her voice get so weak and sound so hoarse. The tears are already welling in her eyes. Natasha bites her lip harshly, trying everything in her power to stop the tears prickling at the corners of her eyes. "Even though we broke up." That was all it took.

Her limp limbs fall to the ground, the tears she had tried so hard to keep at bay escape her dilute eyes. She's broken. Wanda broke her.

"Nat," she hears a soft voice towering over her. Disappointment floods through her. "You're gonna be okay."

Before she knows it, strong arms wrap around her quivering body. Natasha tries to stop the tears, but it's impossible. So instead, she stays curled up, pathetically wrapped in her sister's arms as a river of tears drip down her cheeks. A mess, that's what she is.

"It hurts so much." She chokes out through sobs while her body shakes violently. Her whole world is crumbling all around her and there is literally nothing she can do to prevent it. It's out of her control. "I still love her."

Silence. Apart from, of course, her obnoxiously loud cries of pain. Yes, pain. It grates her own ears.

Natasha feels Yelena shake her head from beside her. "I know." She whispers in her ear, a hand soothing over her hair. "It's going to hurt, but you'll get through it. Pain only makes us stronger, remember?"

Natasha sniffles slightly, unwrapping herself from Yelena's grasp. She flops back on the couch and runs nimble fingers underneath her swollen eyes. "You're right. Thank you." Her unsteady breathing starts to find a normal pattern again. Quiet, sharp sounds leave her throat uncontrollably since the tears are still leaking from her eyes. This was the first time she had broken down since Wanda broke things off. The first time she had let herself feel something other than the numbness she was used to succumbing to.

***

The first time Natasha sees her is a few months later when she gets called back to training before a mission. She dreads having to face her again, but she knew what she was getting herself into when she started dating a teammate.

It's only the two of them left in the locker room after training one evening. Natasha lets out a shaky breath, knowing she can't escape since she still has to pick up her sweaty training gear which just so happened to be- great. Of course it has to be where she is, doesn't it?

Natasha tries to subtly move past her and pick it up but she gets noticed. Of course she does. Wanda's placing a hand on her shoulder before she can move away.

"Natasha," she huffs, puffing a strand of loose dark hair which had just fallen over her face. Natasha manages to stop herself from moving it for her just in time. "Please, just-"

She cuts herself off. Natasha eyes are on her feet, mentally praying for this to be over, praying she could just be back in her room, tucked in her large bed. Not having to deal with her. Natasha bites the inside of her cheek, slowly looking up at her.