Part 4 - Chapter 1

Start from the beginning

Mikey and I find have been crouched behind a bush, hidden from view, for 15 minutes now. Our eyes remain fixed on 8-year-old Y/N who is playing with her mother in the park, her hair tied into two adorable pigtails. 

Next to me, Mikey is motionless, captivated by the younger version of the woman he fell deeply in love with. He's barely blinked in the last minutes, as if tearing his gaze away from her, even for a moment, is an unbearable task. 

When Y/N eventually leaves the park with her mother, Mikey turns away and lets himself slide down against the bush until he is seated on the ground, his back resting against the wall of leaves. 

"She's alive," he breathes out, his voice shaking, and I nod in silent agreement, assuming the same position as him.

I turn my head to observe him. His gaze is fixed on some distant point ahead, his lips slightly parted. 

I have already shared with him all the details of my previous time leaps earlier, and now he's left to process everything. 

"It means I have a second chance... at everything," he murmurs, more to himself than to me.

Once again, I nod, understanding the weight of his realization. We both have been granted a rare opportunity to rewrite our destinies, and I have a feeling we'll both make good use of it this time.

--------------------------------------------

8 years later

Mikey's POV

Takemichi and I have dedicated the past eight years to reshaping our lives and those of our loved ones. My older brother is still alive, and he has opened a garage with his best friend, Wakasa. My adopted brother, Izana, is still living with my family, and my friendships with Kazutora, Sanzu, Baji, Draken, Mitsuya, and Chifuyu are intact. Toman has been rebuilt and now counts Izana, Ran, Rindou, Kakucho, Kokonoi, Inui, and Hanma among its members. My plan is to disband the gang later, when I feel it's served its purpose. 

However, today is one of the most important days in my life. 

Today is the day Y/N and I meet for the first time.

"You okay?" Takemichi asks, concern etched on his face as he observes me.

We stand a few meters away from the steel school gates, our backs leaning against the cornering brick walls of the school grounds. Draken, Baji, Chifuyu, Sanzu, Kazutora stand alongside us, engrossed in their own conversations.

"Today is the day Y/N and I meet for the first time," I reveal to Takemichi.

"Oh, right..." he responds, a hint of understanding in his voice.

My gaze remains fixed on the school gates, my body tense with anticipation.

Over the years, I have observed Y/N from afar whenever I could. I witnessed her grow up from the time she was an 8-year-old girl to now, at 16, just like me. I never approached her, though, and I had to carry the weight of the memories the one future we've shared completely alone. I'm still haunted by its remnants.

"In a few minutes, she's going to walk through those gates with Mitsuya," I say, recounting the first time we met, just loudly enough for Takemichi to hear me. "He will introduce her to us since she doesn't know anyone here."