🕸1🕸

🕸 ⋆。°✩ ⋆。°✩🕸

🕸 ⋆。°✩ ⋆。°✩🕸

May 15th, 2023

Peter was granted access to enter the bustling building. Even at 5 AM, there were still hundreds of employees speeding through the giant lobby to go wherever they needed to be. As usual, Parker scouted out the area before strolling over to the employee check-in station. The patented VorroPad started up, allowing him to put in his credentials. The Pads also required identification methods, such as an eye scan. The company used the Pads as panels for every door and entrance in the building. Only ones in the database could use them.

"When they say this place is secure, they mean it," Peter mumbled aloud.

"It's almost like this is a billion-dollar company?" Peter flinched and quickly turned to the voice on his left. After the initial shock wore off, Peter calmed down as he realized it was his closest friend, as of late, Robert Mayfield. Robby was only four months older than Peter but was an entry-level engineer. Unlike Peter, Robby had started his internship at 15 during high school when the company was taking off. This was also during the last year of the Blip, meaning while Peter was dusted away, Robby was still an aging high schooler. He was incredibly smart like Peter. The pair worked together in close proximity after Robby was promoted to engineer. The two boys started tinkering with inventions together when they could, and became close friends, fast.

A large smile came to Peter's face as the two did their makeshift handshake.

"Robby! You scared me!"

"You're usually very aware, Parker," Robby said while chuckling.

"Got a lot on my mind," Peter replied with a slight, sad smile. "But it's okay, nothing a day of soul-crushing work can't fix!" he joked to lighten the mood.

"You got that right. So listen, Pete. That study we conducted last night turned..." Robby started but was quickly tuned out by Peter. It was almost ironic as Peter tended to tune Ned out anytime his previous crushes were near.

Robby kept on about their previous day's experiments, while Peter subtly locked his view onto the engineer passing by them in the lobby. Camila Flores. She was another entry-level scientist. She was brilliant and well sought out in social situations. During company lunches she would rotate tables and have sat with Peter and Robert at their loner table a few times, allowing the three to get acquainted.

She continued through the lobby and foyer that led to the labs and offices, as Peter's eyes and attention were still trained on her.

Before he could even veer his eyes away, Camila turned her gaze toward his direction, embarrassing Peter, and turning his attention back to Rob.

"...And that's why we need to change the final switches on the motherboard. Does that make sense?" was all Peter was able to catch as Robby was finishing his analysis.

"Well... I- yes, for sure!" He stuttered out with very unconvincing nods.

"You weren't listening were you?" Rob assumed with a sigh. Peter shook his head 'no'. "You were watching Dr. Flores again, weren't you?" Peter nodded his head 'yes' while he drooped his head down to stare at his shoes.

"Pete, if you really like this girl, which trust me- it's very obvious you do, just talk to her more! Make an effort!"

Peter was about to reply when Rob cut him off again.

"Also, not mad at you, but if we wanna get this tech done, you have to listen," Robby teased him with a laugh, which Peter just rolled his eyes to.

"Yeah, alright. Let's go figure it out before all the coffee-hungry scientists fill my schedule."

After making their way through the intricate hallways of walls and doors, passing Camila once (to Peter's dismay- but also joy), and upsetting an old, obviously tired, senior scientist, the two made it to Mayfield's office.

"You're totally head over heels, Parker!"

"Am not!"

"You're delusional!" The two bantered on and on, exchanging laughs.

The pair began working on new technology, while Peter secretly mixed web fluid from time to time, using Robby's liquids and tools found on the opposite side of his lab office.

At around 7 AM, Peter's VorroWatch, a device shared amongst all employees, began buzzing indicating he was getting food and drink requests.

Robby, noticing the buzzes along with Peter, became slightly disappointed.

"Well, my low-life interning duties begin. Time for another day of getting not-so-secretly insulted by the big shots here." He sighed and set down his tools, grabbed his badge and small things, and headed out of the office; Him and Rob agreeing to eat lunch together as usual.

Thirty minutes and fourteen different coffee deliveries later, Peter began his descent to the vending machine to obtain sugary, high-sodium snacks for the hungry engineers and scientists who just couldn't wait until lunch. He turned a few more corners before finally reaching the old vending machine. This part of the building was so quiet and empty that it made Peter wonder who even came back here to stock the machine.

As he began punching in numbers, a set of voices and footsteps started their way toward Peter's general direction. On a gut feeling, Peter hid between the slight space between the wall and vending machine.

He did not have a good feeling about what the approaching pair were discussing.