Robin and Kaya || Bonus Chapter

Start from the beginning

The girl manoeuvres around me, and I sense that she's leaving already, and I begin to panic. I'm not ready for her to go yet.

"Maybe if I didn't go for the heaviest books on the highest shelves," I say sheepishly.

As I speak, I realise she's not leaving but picking up the book that nearly killed me, and she hands it to me.

"Well... if you find yourself height deficient when looking for any more books and I'm around, I'm happy to help," She tells me, gesturing to herself and making it clear she's tall enough for the job.

"Thanks! I will!" I say to her.

I start to wonder if I sound too eager when I realise we're both still holding onto the book. I glance down at our hands, so close they're almost brushing, but not quite. She follows my eyes and lets go, clearing her throat.

"French museums! What class is that for?" She asks me, referencing the book I'm holding.

I look up at her eyes again, but it's almost too intense to look into them. I try to focus on the rest of her face instead, but I feel like I'm getting lost in the freckles on her face. I follow them along her nose, around her cheekbones. I stare momentarily at the ones sitting just above her lips before I realise I'm staring and snap my head back to the book.

What did she ask again? Oh yes, about the French museums.

"Oh. Not for class. Personal research. I want to travel when I get out of school," I tell her.

My eyes lock onto hers again, and a flicker of something flashes behind her eyes. Her lips part, and her face looks soft.

"No way," She says quietly, her voice barely above a whisper.

She must notice the confusion on my face and answers my unasked question.

"I was planning on travelling too. I've been practising my French to prepare!" She exclaims.

"Oh! That's really cool! I should probably start practising too," I say.

"Well... if you want a hand learning, I'm happy to help," She says, a ghost of a smile tugging at the corners of her mouth.

"Thank you! I might take you up on that offer," I say.

The school bell rings, bringing me back to reality. Lunch is over, and I can hear the rustling of kids picking up their bags and books to leave.

"Well, I'm usually here at lunch if I'm not in my English classroom. I hate eating in the cafeteria. So, you can find me around here if you need help reaching books or practising French," She says shyly.

"Thank you! I usually come here too; I can't believe I hadn't noticed you before," I tell her.

I realise when I say that, that it sounds kind of weird. She doesn't say anything, and I don't want to bring more attention to it, so I change the subject.

"Well, I've got to get to class, but my name is Kaya, by the way, Kaya Murphy," I tell her.

She smiles at me, eyes glistening like sunlight reflecting off the ocean.

"Yeah, me too. My name is Robin Buckley," She says, turning around to leave.

"It was nice meeting you, Robin," I tell her.

She stops, places her hand on the bookshelf beside her, and then turns her head to me. Her eyes are still glistening, but that look from before is back, like she's unsure if she should say what she's thinking.

"It was nice to meet you too, Kaya. Tu as de beaux yeux," Robin says, then leaves.

🩷💜💙