T W E N T Y T H R E E

I tap on the keys on my keyboard, bringing my story together. I've got a flow, a rhythm. I'm finally getting somewhere with this stupid story.

But as I am typing, my phone rings. I don't want to stop, but I glance at the phone. It's Joe. My fingers hover over the keyboard, and I bite my lip as I try to concentrate.

I let out a sigh, and I reach over and answer the phone.

"Hey," I say softly.

"I'm bored," Joe grumbles over the phone.

I sigh.

"I'm trying to write," I say to him.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry. I'll call you back later," He says apologetically.

I sigh again.

"No... It's okay. I won't be able to concentrate now, I'll just be thinking of you," I say softly.

I can't tell, but I hope he's smiling.

"I'm sorry," He says.

"It's okay, stop apologising. What's up?" I ask.

"I was going to see if you wanted to come over? You haven't seen my new place yet," He says.

My stomach twists at the mention of his new place. The one he had to get, because he broke up with Gemma. Guilt and shame washes over me, I'd never expected to be a home wrecker, and although Joe assures me I'm not, and Maya insists that it's an outdated and sexist term, I still find a way to blame myself.

"Speak, Charlee," Joe says softly, and I smile. I like that he knows me so well.

"Yeah, okay. I'll come over. Send me the address," I say.

After I hang up, I quickly change my clothes.

* * * *

I knock on the door of Joes new apartment, and as I wait I have a feeling of déjà vu as I remember waiting on the front porch of his old place. His and Gemmas old place.

When he opens the door, I'm greeted with a grin. When he smiles his whole face lights up, and it warms my soul. I notice him glance up and down at me before letting me in.

Once I'm inside, I look around. It's nice. Not too big, or too small and it looks modern, I suspect it's just been built. There isn't much furniture, but I forgive him since he just moved in and probably left most the furniture at Gemmas. I glance at the window, which has a big, cozy, window seat, something I'd always wanted, and I smile. When I look back over at Joe, he's looking at me with an expectant smile.

"So? What do you think?" Joe asks me, eager for my opinion.

"It's nice. Really. Do you like it?" I ask him, curious about his opinion of his own abode.

He looks around the room and then back at me.

"Yeah, it's kind of cool being able to do whatever I want with a place. I only lived in share houses before I lived with Gemma, so it's the first time a place is completely mine," He explains.

I swallow at the mention of Gemmas name. Is this how it's always going to be? Her name affecting me like this, their relationship haunting and looming over us like a ghost?

Joe must notice the look of doom etched on my face, because he starts waving his hand in front of my face to get my attention.