The First Global Conference

NOT sponsored by PowerPoint.

You'll see what I mean-

As expected, America wasted no time in gathering the world for the official commencement of the United Nations. A full twenty-four hours in advance, all 198 invitations were complete. UN was informed of this the evening before the meeting was due to begin, causing a ripple of fear and joy to engulf him, erasing any hope he had of getting a decent night's sleep.

Instead of resting, Union lay on his bedroom floor, imagining the crowds of nations, the power he'd have, the pressure to make things right... He wasn't ready for this. There was no way he was good enough to lead the world! But, there was already so much good in the world, so much to build upon...

There was so much he needed to do...

So much he needed to say...

He couldn't afford to ruin this opportunity, nor forget his purpose. If only he could somehow show the world all of his hopes and dreams and make the nations love him, but was that even possible? How could he even begin to persuade the entire world of his worth?

Unless... There was always...

PowerPoints.

I know PowerPoint didn't even exist in the '50s, but I'm afraid we'll just have to go with it, sorry.

UN loved PowerPoints! They always looked so bright and interesting with all of those pretty transitions brightly-coloured backgrounds and funny fonts. Yes, that was the perfect solution! He'd call his presentation... Hmm... 'The World's Best Union: A Plan'. Was that too much confidence for a title? Probably, but at least it would balance everything out if he had a nervous breakdown on stage, he supposed. Should he use a friendlier font to balance it out, though? What about... that's a nice one... 'Comic Sans'? Perfect! Oh, and backgrounds! What about stripes? Yes, in blue - of course - and... yellow, like the Sun! Lovely! Everyone love the Sun, right?

Next slide: his amazing flag! He'd call that slide 'Me (: '.

And now, his plans for the good of the world...

"I'm sure we'd all love a globally available bakery! Plus, an alliance between the Eastern and Western nations, so than everyone can be friends, regardless of ideology! And, we could use the power of friendship to end world hunger and global warming! I'll make the world amazing! We can even bring spiders and flies to some sort of truce-" UN proudly declared the next day, beaming around at his audience, some of whom nodded sympathetically, others of whom laughed in the face of the Union's childlike fantasies.

"Erm... Thank you for that... lovely presentation, UN!" USA giggled, flushing a startling shade of crimson as he smiled awkwardly at the onlooking countries and pulled UN aside.

"Ame, you're going jam-colour!" Union giggled, "Like the type you put on scones! Oh, and everyone will agree on the pronunciation of 'scone' too-"

"Yes, thank you, we get the idea, Sir," America laughed, though shooting UN a stern glance and shaking his head.

"But I'm not-"

"And that is almost the end of the meeting!" USA concluded, as China and USSR pulled UN away from the spotlight. "On behalf of the Big Five and of the world, we have reached the dawn of a new era-"

"Did you like my PowerPoint?" UN whispered excitedly to the countries either side of him.

"It was... certainly something," muttered China.

"-The League is dead. Long live the United Nations."