It was a constant war in my head and I needed a break. I needed to get my mind off of it for a night.

Going to Connors house was a good reprieve. Ever since I showed up at his door and made things right between us things had just picked right back up. His home felt like my second home. We were family and walking through the front door gave me a sense of comfort just like it had when we were kids.

"Give it back!" A female voice yelled out.

I followed the sounds to where Jetson, Connor and Cass were sprawled out in front of a laptop in the middle of the living room.

Cass was a new addition in my life. She worked with Connor at least until she got fired a few weeks ago. But her and Connor had formed enough of a friendship that it wasn't uncommon to see her hanging around.

"You don't deserve the laptop anymore. You're being too picky." Connor responded to her.

"Too picky? I'm sorry I don't want to be bored to death answering phones all day."

"But it pays good." Jetson pointed to something on the screen.

"Then maybe you should apply."

"I would but I'm not the one that got fired." Jet shot back.

"Whatever it totally wasn't my fault." Cass reached over snatching the laptop back.

"Not your fault? You threw a two liter soda at a customer."

I felt something relax in my chest. Being here was what I needed.

"He totally deserved it, I'd do it again." She waved the couple off.

"I agree with that." I said dropping onto the floor next to Cass.

None of them even blinked at my appearance. It was like they just expected I'd show up at some point. It made me feel like I had a place I belonged. It'd been awhile since I had that feeling.

"There's food in the kitchen if you're hungry." Connor said to me.

"Thanks." I got up and went to get myself a plate before I went back to helping them find Cass a new job.

It'd been a long process over the past week and so far she was still unemployed. I think Connor was more interested in finding postings that he knew she'd hate just so he could complain that she was being too picky. Luckily she had me and Jetson who have actually helped her find things she would be good at. She's sent out two applications but haven't heard anything from either so we're still on the hunt.

I was ready for another long evening filled of jokes and bickering. This chaos was better than the silence at home.

After a few hours Connor was basically kicking us out. I couldn't be mad about it because I could see Jetson trying to hide his yawns as he leaned into his boyfriend. Cass never seemed to know when to leave so on my way out I grabbed her arm and dragged her out with me.

"I'll text you if I hear about any of the jobs." She said.

"If I have time I'll send you some more postings." I offered.

In a silent house it was nice to have something to do.

"I'm so sick of job hunting, it's fucking exhausting. You want to get coffee in the morning and talk about anything but jobs?" She asked.

"I have to work." I said apologetically.

"Fuck jobs, fuck my life and fuck you." She ranted.

"Bye Cass." I laughed as she stomped to her car.

She was loud and kinda ridiculous sometimes but she tended to put a smile on my face so I never complained.

It was a short drive home and when I stepped inside it wasn't a surprise that the house was dark and quiet. Ronan had probably shut himself up in his room by now. I knew he wasn't sleeping yet but still I tried to be as quiet as I could as I walked through the house.

I walked into the kitchen to see everything from dinner was cleaned up. Everything but a plate on the counter covered in tinfoil.

My heart twisted in my chest. I felt guilt and a little bit of regret for not being able to stay. Ronan had made up a plate for me. I pushed the uneasy feeling down and grabbed the plate and when I lifted the foil I just felt worse.

It wasn't pepperoni on the plate but sausage and pepper pizza, my favorite. Ronan hadn't just made up a plate for me, he'd ordered my favorite pizza for me.

I covered the plate again and placed it in the fridge for tomorrow.

I ignored all the feelings twisting up inside me. I'd deal with it all tomorrow.

A/n:

This is your first introduction to Reid. I'm super excited about starting this new project. I've been dealing with some stuff in my personal life that hasn't been great but this book has been a nice escape for me so far. I'm going to try to keep up with my writing and get new chapters to you out each week.

I hope you all enjoy this chapter! And here's a peak at what some of these new characters look like to me.

-cora Leigh

-cora Leigh