Snippet of another book

Hi guys! I'm quite stuck on this book at the moment, I've been trying to write the recent chapter for ages but alas, it's not coming to me. So in the mean time here is the first chapter of another book I am working on. Enjoy!

Soft cooing coming from my left aroused me from my sleep. I reluctantly opened my eyes and sat up, looking at my baby brother in his cot who was holding his arms out.

"Good morning, alarm." I said teasingly as I picked Genesis up, holding him close. He nestled his head in the crook of my neck with a massive smile, his wispy hair tickling me.

I left my bedroom, knocking on the doors of others as I walked down the hallway. With it being the first day of school I knew everyone wanted plenty time to get ready.

I entered the bathroom and placed Genesis on the counter-top as I brushed my teeth thoroughly. He giggled at the sight of running water from the tap, playing with it and getting his chubby arms soaked.

After getting him cleaned up I headed to my mum's room where I hesitated outside, wondering if it was a good idea to wake her up. Genesis was only six months so ideally still needed her breast milk, despite her hesitance to provide it. I sighed and opened the door, met with the sight of my mum sprawled across her bed. Her right hand clutched a paintbrush and a colourful but unfinished canvas was abandoned on the floor.

"Wow, this must have been a serious one, huh Genesis?" I whispered to him and he wrapped a strand of my hair around his chubby finger in response. My mum rarely ever did her artwork in her bedroom, whenever she did it was because inspiration had hit her while she was there and she had to get it down on paper with zero distractions.

"Mum." I whispered, shaking her leg gently. Thankfully she was a light sleeper.

"What?" She moaned.

"Genesis wants to say good morning." Whenever anyone else but me woke her up, especially the younger ones, it sometimes put her in a good mood for the rest day.

I let Genesis crawl towards his mum and he climbed onto her back and balanced there with a wide grin which I reciprocated.

"Get him off me." Mum mumbled, not moving in case he fell off. I immediately picked him up, watching as she sat up and stretched; her eyes still half-open.

"We need more milk. There's only one bottle left."

"Hand him over." She murmured, pulling her shirt down. I did so hesitantly and left the room to see if the others had woken up yet.

There were two bathrooms to share between five of us, not including Genesis and Mum. One of them was connected to mum's room and she rarely let us use it, unless we were running really late so you can imagine how cramped it was.

I entered the room next to mine and stood in the doorway with an unimpressed expression. Eternity and Clover were sleeping soundly.

I stalked over to the window and yanked the curtains open, flooding the room with light. They both groaned, covering their eyes.

"Clover, get up." I told my brother, shaking his arm roughly. He peered up at me, frowning.

"Why can't Eternity go first?"

"Cos she takes longer, so she's going last. Plus, she slept later than you." I told him. Eternity always spent ages making sure she looked perfect before she went anywhere, even school. In the morning, which slowed everyone down.

Clover grumbled a complaint but stood up, his pale hair sticking up in every direction. He would take fifteen minutes max to brush his teeth and shower so I wasn't concerned. I left a sleeping Eternity alone and headed to the twin's room.