Chapter 28

It had not taken Mr. Rodriguez to invite himself along as an esteemed guest of Mr. Mackintosh. But getting back in the good graces of Miss Thatcher was another mystery that I could not solve at all. I learned two things about Miss Thatcher till now, first, she is a really ambitious lady, and second, her ambition is Christin Ace Rodriguez.

I do not have a problem with the first thing but with the second, I am largely and strangely very concerned about.

'Be wary of a man's heart, it not can only love one ever' I was surprised when I heard this sentence from not only my mother's mouth but from Emilia's as well. She had told me again and again, that men deceive in the name of love. I do not believe that Christin will do it to me. Then again, he did choose to ride in a carriage with Lady Thatcher and I was left to choose in between Dana and James and a carriage alone with Ibrahim. Naturally, I have gone for my seven-foot saber-yielding friend.

"You are quiet my lady, is anything troubling you?" he asked. Yes, there are many troubling thoughts in mind Abe, but most I do not think are rational. She is the tactical advantage, and in the end, he loves me. He had shown me time and again, that he is loyal. That he will not have anyone by his side but me. Then why? Why do I have this fear in my heart? Why I still am so insecure about all these happenings?

"Nothing Abe, I do not know what kind of surprise my stepmother had planned. I know one thing, I do not know the property in Somerset, and I do not know if that letter was not forced upon my father to be written in that fashion by Emilia." I told Ibrahim. I had gotten one of Dana's books to read. But then I returned back to the files that had needed to be filled for the company.

It suited me better; it had taken away for a while those thoughts out of my head. For I have realized that nothing good will come of it. If I want to, I can move away to Amazon and live among that tribe. I have earned their respect and they do write to me, more like Hanri, writes to me and tells me wonders of the tribe that I left behind. And they told me that there is a special hut decorated in my name, where they collected every first weapon, they made and kept protected for my return.

"A letter came from Hanri, the chief had made a special headdress for me. I never imagined killing a jaguar would be this much effective." "You have earned their trust My lady. It is a rare thing to have. The indigenous people may not understand your language, but they understood you are now one of their protectors. And they will come when you call. It is something like I have with Saheb." This conversation shall not have Christin in it but it keeps getting back to him.

The carriage stopped. It was in the middle of a forest, and it was getting darker. We were supposed to reach to next town by nightfall and then it was half a day's journey to Somerset. "My Lady do not get out of the carriage. I must check..." I raised my hand to stop Ibrahim. 

"Right now, Abe you and I are both employers of Mr. Rodriguez and you and I both know that there is not anything better than to protect him. It is our duty, yours and mine." I told Ibrahim.

"My lady you are not..." I stopped him. "Ibrahim" He understood. And I did it again, I only called his name and he understood what I was about to say. I am getting good at this one-word language thing. The language that began and ended with his name. He walked towards his carriage. And I saw him and Miss Thatcher. She had to hold him tightly.

"It will be alright Bridgit," She cried hard and pushed herself more with Christin. I am going to slit her throat. And with it, I will be going to him as well. How could he? Even after knowing how I feel about them?

"What happened here?" I asked. "Bandits they were waiting to ambush us." Then his eyes met mine. "Why are you out of your carriage?" So, he finally noticed me. "I am doing my job the one you pay me to do Mr. Rodriguez. Now tell me is anyone hurt?" He looked at Miss Thatcher. "No, we are alright. But don't you dare..." I defied him once again.