Twenty-Two

I unzip Anna's dress all the way down to the small of her back, and then let go of it. "There you go," I say.

Anna turns around. She keeps her arm over her chest, holding the dress up. "Well?" she says, looking at me. "What about mine?"

I nod. I reach up under my arm and unzip the dress I'm wearing. I unzip it, but I hold the front of it up against myself too, the same way as Anna is, so it doesn't come off.

Then we look at each other.

We both stand there, and look at each other, both still holding our dresses against ourselves.

Neither of us moves.

"Um," Anna says. "So are we...?"

I hesitate. Suddenly I don't want to take this dress off in front of her. Not because of being undressed, not exactly, more because of the actual taking it off. Because of the wriggling and tugging I'll probably need to do to manage, and how it will make me feel awkward. I want to look sexy here. I want to be glamorous, like Anna is. I don't want to yank and shove and push like I'll probably have to do to get the dress off.

"Yeah," I say after a moment. "Um, actually, could you maybe turn around again?"

Anna looks at me.

"Just turn around," I say. "I don't want you watching me do this."

"Oh," she says. "Yeah." She stands there and thinks. "Actually," she says. "Um, same. Me either."

"So maybe we both turn around?" I say.

Anna nods. She's smiling a little bit, like perhaps she thinks this is funny, and I'm not sure if she's taking me completely seriously about this, but I'm serious. And I'm also very glad I'm not wearing tights.

"Turn," I say. "Please?"

Anna does.

"And don't turn back around until we both say to, yeah?" I add.

"Okay," she says.

I glance back, quickly, and make sure she's got her back towards me. I glance, and then look away, but as I do I see her head start to move, as if she's checking on me as well. I look away quickly before she sees that I was doing the same thing.

"No peeking," I say.

"I'm not," Anna says, sounding a little guilty. Like perhaps she just did look. Like I did.

I don't say that, though. Not when I'd cheated too. I just say, "So okay, are you ready?"

"Yep," she says.

"Me too," I say. "So we go?"

"Okay," she says. "Yes, go."