34. wolfsbane

song of the chapter:
Mercy
by: Shawn Mendes
•••

"It's nice to be back.  You can't imagine staying with the Weasleys the entire break." Cass, Iris, and Karolin were sprawled out on their beds in their dorm room, discussing the happenings during the winter holidays.

"I pity you, Cass." Karolin lied, making it obvious and Iris and Cass laugh.  "Anyway, I have to use the loo.  Be right back." Karoin sat up from her bed and jumped over to the toilets.

"Moony," Iris whispered once she saw that Karolin was out of earshot.

"Hm?"

"I made you something over the break.  Well, I started working on it before, but finished it over the holidays." Iris took a bottle from her trunk and handed it to me.

"What is it?"

"It's a wolfsbane potion.  It's supposed to let you keep your human mind during the transformation.  It won't away the pain, but I wanted whatever I could to help, I'm sorry I couldn't do more." Cathleen carefully placed the potion on the table beside her bed and flung herself on top of the redhead, expressing her immense gratitude.

"No, no,no.  This is amazing! Thank you so much!"

"You're welcome, Moony.  I'm glad I could help." Cathleen leaned out of the embrace.

"The only problem is that I can't use it for the next moon."

"Why not?"  Iris asked, saddened.

"It's tomorrow and I would have to drink the Wolfsbane everyday for the entire week before the moon. I can use it for the next month, so thank you, I'm so happy."  Iris took Cass's hands in her own and looked her deep in the eyes.

"I'm going to do anything to make the full moons better for you, I promise."

"I don't doubt it, but this is already so great.  I won't be at risk for attacking anyone anymore, and I won't give myself any more scars!" Cass was grinning so widely that Iris felt like she had taken a six-year-old to see Disney world.  "I won't get any more scars! Oh my gosh!" Cass was choking on her breath, so happy with what she noticed.  "Thank you, Thank you!" Cass wrapped her arms around Iris once again. 

Cass only had a few scars from her transformations because she had only gone through six full moons as a werewolf.  Most of them were on her torso, but when she wore a short sleeved shirt, people would be able to see a mark on her upper left arm and three claw marks across her right forearm. 

"You're welcome." The bathroom door opened and Cathleen quickly hopped off Iris's bed and stuffed the potion away, hidden.

"Oh, what's going on here?"  Karolin expressed in a teasing voice and raised her eyebrows, definitely expressing dirty thoughts. Iris stood up and whacked Karolin backside on the head with a book.  "Ouch!" Kari rubbed her head. "That was unnecessary."

"I'm going to check something out with the twins. Fred and George." Iris walked out of the dorm room.  "See you all at supper."

"Are you going to leave me too?" Kari flopped on her bed dramatically.

"I don't plan on it."  Cass reopened her book. It was the one Tonks gave her for Christmas.  She had found hardly any details on the spell, but still reading each page, intent on learning something that could give her insight.