CHAPTER 1

1930
"Shit, shit, shit!" A young girl yelled as she spotted two boys about her age, maybe a little older, running through her yard. "Mom! Someone is trying to steal from the apple tree!"

"What did you say honey?" A woman with a delicate voice asked from another room. "Never mind, I'll be back in a bit." The young girl replied pulling on her sneakers. "Honey, you can't go out by yourself!" But the girl was already halfway out the door. "I'm just going in the yard."

"Buck, maybe this is a bad idea. The Belflowers are one of the richest families in town." A skinny kid with blonde hair said to a kid who looked about the same age. "Maybe we'll get their attention, I heard their daughters are the prettiest in town." The young girl stepped towards them. "Well, you got my attention." "Shit." The brunette boy said as he dashed towards the gate. "Wait! Buck you are going to fast!" The blonde one panted. But the young girl took off towards the running brunette and tackled him in the front lawn of her big beautiful house. "Those are my apples." She said looking into his steel blue eyes. "My bad." He said tossing them towards her with a small pigment coming to his cheeks.

"Buck, are you okay?" The blonde panted as he finally caught up to them. "Yes Steve, I'm fine" He say with a slight smirk. "Well Buck and Steve." She snapped pointing at them. "Bucky. But my close friends call me Buck." She nodded. "Okay well since you tried to steal from me, I might as well tell you my name. I'm Elizabeth. Elizabeth Belflower. But my friends call me Lizzie." Bucky smiled. "Nice to meet you Lizzie." She crossed her arms. "I never said we're friends, you just stole from my family tree, remember?" Bucky shrugged, "but I gave them back, did I not?" Lizzie rolled her eyes. "How old are you?" Steve asked. "You shouldn't be out here by yourself."

"I'm 10 and it's my house, remember?" Steve just smiled awkwardly, while Bucky laughed."Well I'm officially a teen as I turned 13 last week, and Steve here is still a little kid as he's 12." Bucky said whispering at the last part. "Haha very funny, Buck." Lizzie just smiled, "I'm still pissed about the tree," Bucky laughed at her cursing, "but I think the three of us could maybe get along." Steve smiled, "will you forgive us?" Lizzie smiled. "Yes. Yes maybe I will."

1938
"Steve, do you have the balloons?" Lizzie asked opening the door. "Ta-da!" Steve exclaimed pulling a collection of blue balloons from behind his back. "Perfect! Blue is his favorite!" Steve smiled, "I also brought a cake, I picked it up from the bakery." Lizzie took the cake out of his other hand. "We have to hurry, he's going to be here any moment." Her and Steve jumped behind the coach and waited for Bucky to come through the door. 5 minutes passed, then 10. "You sure he's coming?"Lizzie asked. "Yes, he's probably changing or something." She nodded.

"Hey Liz, can I ask you something?" She turned towards him to see him smiling. "Sure." He was blushing a bit. "Steve? What is it?" "Do you like Bucky?" She lifted an eyebrow. "Of course, we've known each other for eight years, you and Bucky are like family. You both know that." He raised an eyebrow back at her, "You know that's not what I meant, I mean do you like Bucky romantically? I've seen the way you two act around each other, I know he likes you too, Lizzie. I'm just waiting for someone to make a goddamn move, you two would be perfect together." Lizzie's cheeks turned a pale color of pink, she was about to respond when suddenly the door opened. "Lizzie? Steve?"

"Surprise!" The two jumped out from behind the coach. "Holy shit, you two scared me." Steve laughed, "it's your birthday Buck!" Lizzie grabbed the cake while Steve held the balloons. "Surprise!" Bucky smiled, "you didn't have to do all this."

"Of course we did." Lizzie said smiling, Bucky smiled back. "Told you, see he's blushing." Steve whispered to Lizzie. She just smiled and set the cake down while looking for a lighter for the candles.