𝐈𝐈𝐈.

𝐄𝐀𝐓 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐆

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑: 𝐈𝐈𝐈.

Mama watches what Jamie packs into her suitcase.

She stands in the doorway, trying to look casual, leaning against the frame as her blue eye scrutinize every little piece of clothing that goes into the suitcase.

The dress Jamie has picked for the celebration dinner is dark red and falls to her ankles. It's strapless, so maybe that's why Mama makes a disapproving little scoff when Jamie folds it neatly into her luggage.

She doesn't move from the doorway as Jamie finishes packing, looking at her only daughter with something in her eyes that Jamie can't quite place. "You be good out there," Corine Dyer notes. "Do you know how hard this is for me, seeing you go so far away? I'm putting a lot of trust in you."

"I know, Mama," Jamie says. She hesitates a moment before she draws the older woman into a hug. "I'll be back soon. Coach Martinez is going to be there the whole time, no one will get into any trouble."

Another one of those little scoffing sounds makes Jamie have to fight back a shudder. He mother's arms wrap tightly around her as she returns the hug, squeezing so tightly Jamie can barely breathe. "You know how I feel about some of those girls. Promise me you'll stay away from that Natalie. She's a bad influence."

Jamie falters, forcing a smile to her face, trying to sound unphased as she jokes, "I'll do my best, but it might be hard on the field."

Corine is unimpressed. Jamie watches her mouth settle into a thin line, the start of that frown that Jamie hates seeing so much. "I'll get the keys," Corine says. "We don't want you being late, do we?"

"Actually... Vince can drive me. I know- - I know you don't like driving the van that much. And... Vince lets me play my music."

She sees her mother's expression shift. It's Corine's turn, now, to bring a too-wide smile to her face. "All right," Mama says. "Yes, that- - that's fine."

She turns out of the doorway to call down the hall, "Vincent!"

It's a wonder he even hears it over the sound Who Wrote Holden Caulfield blasting in his speakers. He ducks out of the doorway, confusion etched in his eyes before Mama says, "You'll be driving Jamie to the airport. Please make sure you get her there in time."

It takes less than five minutes to Vince to scramble into a pair of shoes, Jamie following him down the stairs, where he grabs the keys off of the hook on the wall.

She stops to grab an apple from the counter, and she hears the touch of humor in Vince's voice as he calls back to her, "Come on, we're burning daylight, kid."