Chapter 6 ~ Changed

Start from the beginning

I was happy for Jim. He seemed to like Claire and he looked happy on the stage next to her. I could hear Mrs. Janeth quoting the play "'Deny and refuse.' But he can't deny it. But Romeo can't not be Montague, which means that Juliet..."

"'And I'll no longer be a Capulet.'" Claire said finishing the line with an upbeat tone in her voice, her hand over her heart. Her acting skills were really good and she deserved the role.

"Exactly!" Mrs. Janeth exclaimed and began to laugh sitting back down in her chair.

Jim began to speak his line "or if thou wilt not, be sworn me love..."

"Amazing." Mrs. Janeth said, clapping her hands a little, "Let's take it from 'wherefore art'..." she instructed. Jim and Claire turned to each other and began to speak to one another but I couldn't listen in because Mrs. Janeth had turned around to face me. "So Amber, how are the designs going?"

"Huh? what? sorry what was that?" I fumbled over my words seeing as I wasn't paying attention.

She let out a sigh and asked about the designs again. "Oh umm well..." I mumbled trying to figure out what to say. I looked down at the blank sketchbook in my lap then back at Mrs. Janeth. She had such a look of hope and slight desperation in her eyes. I couldn't tell her I had no ideas. "They're coming along great." I said, my voice wavering slightly and not sounding very confident.

But it seemed to be fine because she said "Great!" And clasped her hands together then turned back to Jim and Claire grabbing their attention. "Alright! alright! Let's go from act two scene two line 33." She announced.

Claire turned to Jim and began to act saying "Wherefore art thou, Romeo?" Jim had the brightest smile on his face as he looked at Claire, his gaze filled with affection. I couldn't tell if he was acting or not but he did seem to like her and I was happy for him.

I let my lips quick up into a small closed lip smile. I wonder if they were a thing in one of the other timelines. I look down at my sketchbook in my lap. Maybe I could do this. Then I finally had an idea and began to sketch, finally feeling a little better after everything that had happened the previous day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had just left the auditorium, my spirits being lifted a little. I was outside walking next to the lockers ready to head home with a small smile on my face which fell immediately as I spotted Steve walking in my direction. Steve jabbed one of his fingers into the middle of my chest trying to look intimidated as he said "Where the hell have you been?! I scheduled your butt-whooping for yesterday, jerk face. And you didn't show. Tick-tock, remember?"

He pushed me against lockers as I rolled my eyes in annoyance but didn't say anything. And he's calling me the jerk. "She was getting her butt kicked by someone—" Kirili shut up immediately as she saw me glaring daggers at her. I didn't want to remember what happened yesterday.

"Back off dweeb!" Steve threatened as he glanced at Kirili for a split second then back to me who he had cornered.

"Alright listen Steve I'm just not in the mood for your bullshit today." I state, exhausted. I could probably put up with this any other day just not today. Not after what has happened the past couple of days.

"Uh yeah duh. Nobody's ever in the mood to get their face bashed in, but you know that's what's gonna happen unless you want to back down." Steve said taking a step back slightly away from me as he stated the obvious, but initially gave me a way out which peaked my interest in some way.

People began to gather around curious about what all the commotion was about. Kirili was close by looking at me in distress, Jim and Toby had arrived not so long ago and it seemed that Claire and one of her friends whom I think was named Darci appeared behind them. The group all looked at me with worry clear in their gaze besides Jim and Toby who looked almost hopeful.