Chapter twenty-eight

Comincia dall'inizio

He holds onto her hand. Shraddha was very hesitant to let him. Not because she didn't consider him her husband, but because the conversation she had with his father compelled her to. She tried to take away her hands without giving him any hints of what they discussed, but she failed miserably. Anand saw the agony written on her face. The agony caused by his father. She tried to conceal it, but as a doctor, he knows when one is troubled even if they'll wear a hundred masks to hide it.

"I failed you. I never respected our relationship, never gave it meaning, never valued you or it because of what I shared with Supriya. I'm sorry Shraddha for failing you. For letting my father humiliate you by taking you as a captive. He never dared to do something like that to Supriya because I showed him how much I respected her. I'm sorry for giving him room to interfere between us." Anand said from the bottom of his heart wishing Shraddha will accept his heartfelt apology. She showed no energy to respond. Instead, she broke into loud sobs. She thought of herself as truly unfortunate because when things were going so well in her relationship, she now has to end it. The reason she was crying was because she couldn't bear separation from Anand. She just can't live a day without him. And now that she was being forced to, she had to leave or the consequences will be severe.

"I'm sorry Shraddha. We say we learn from the past, and indeed, I have. Now, no one, not even my father can discriminate against you in the family. I will give you all of Supriya's rights. Right at this moment, at this time, I accept you as my wife. I'm giving you my name and surname. No one will....." he paused when she pulled him into her arms and hugged him. He was her source of strength. She tried to derive that from him. He closed his eyes, relishing every moment. Shraddha was like a fluffy teddy bear, very soft, and comforting. Their surroundings vanished and all they could hear were them.

Silently, Ranbir and Riya moved to his car.

"We're leaving the house tonight Shraddha. I won't return unless there's a funeral. Funeral of the man who everyone despises. We'll start afresh, somewhere. We'll go on dates whenever I'm free, and we can even work on our relationship to see if it has a future. We'll live with Riddhima, and after Poonam returns, we'll be a big happy family."

Dreams are always beautiful. However, making them a reality is almost impossible. Anand was weaving dreams which Shraddha knew were unattainable. She pulled away and looked straight ahead as she didn't have the courage to look him in the eye. She will melt. She will cry again, and she will confess what his father said that may bring unending pain to him.

"You told me I can return to Ladnun whenever I wish. Today is that day. I don't want to stay married to you."

His jaw plunged. Amusement filled his eyes. He looked at Shraddha who was still not looking at him. Now, he was very certain his father had said something. Something which was propelling her to go away from him because on her own, she has showed him love, and he knew it was just impossible for her to leave.

"What did Father tell you?" he exclaimed in a harsh serious voice.

She flinched a little bit at his unexpected spurt, nevertheless, she remained silent.

"If he has threatened you, know that there's no need to be scared. He can't harm me, my kids, you, or your mother. I promise you protection. And we'll leave the house tonight. There's...."

"Anand, you gave me this freedom to choose what I want. I want to leave." she whispered quietly.

"But then after, you proposed to me. You asked for a chance to make our relationship work, and I'm agreeing to that. I won't let you leave."

"I have to. You have to let me go. You have to tell everyone at tonight's party that I am..." she paused, more tears oozing from her eyes. Her lips refused to complete the statement. They trembled with fear, as even they knew she didn't deserve it. Anand listened to her carefully, remained silent, and waited for her to complete her sentence. She was giving it out to him indirectly about what they discussed with his father. Through her words, he was certain he would find out.

She inhaled a long breath and mustered some courage. "That I am just like my mother. I've been cheating on you."

His chuckle resonated in the area. He cupped her face, forcing her to match his gaze to which she refused.

"Really? Have you been cheating? Do you think I lie? Do you think I'll ruin your reputation like that? What are you doing? Who are you saving? What did Father tell you? I'm your husband. There should be no secrets between us. Feel free and tell me what he told you."

"I will leave at tonight's party."

"To go to?"

"Ladnun."

"Stay with who? Your mother threw you out."

"I didn't say home. I said Ladnun. I'll find shelter somewhere."

"You already have shelter. I'm sheltering you."

"It arrived too late." she finally gazed at him. The pain was clearly visible. It hid the beauty of her eyes. Moreover, the stream floating inside told him those words weren't hers. He nodded.

"And you shouldn't betray Sister Supriya. She'll be hurt when she finds out you're giving someone else her rights."

"What if I tell you I spoke to her before making this decision? Doesn't she live above the sky? I looked at it and asked her whether she wants me to move on. And do you know what her reply was? She showed me three birds, where the middle one left and the one beside it reunited with the other. I took that as her yes. She does want me to move on."

Shraddha inwardly smiled. Even though her face was still depicting sorrow. Before she cried some more, she turned to the other side. She was ready to sacrifice for her love, that was certain. And what she was doing now was sacrifice. It doesn't matter if Anand will understand it or not. And it's better if he doesn't as she doesn't want to ruin his relationships. She proceeded into the house, to his room. He went after her.

"What is wrong with you Shraddha? We're not outside anymore. Tell me what Father told you. I'll...."

"He didn't say anything." she muttered quietly while opening the closet and ripping out her clothes outside.

"Where are you going to now?"

"Not now! After the party, to Ladnun."

What do you think Anand's father told Shraddha? Do vote and comment!