C H A P T E R T H I R T Y-N I N E

Start from the beginning

"Why?" The bounty hunter asked.

"It would make being stranded with you on this bloody planet more tolerable."

"Oh, don't be like that." Athena scoffed. "You can't expect me to just 'walk in silence' when — here, ask me something. Anything. Doesn't matter what." Crosshair actually considered it to himself and conjured a few queries — some more sensitive than others. Athena watched the soldier open his mouth, actually intrigued he was going to yield, and her eyes widened with interest. She then huffed in disappointment when he stuck a toothpick between his teeth with a smirk.

"Fine. Silence it is."

Eventually, they finally reached the end of the ravine in the mid-afternoon and clambered the slight incline. What awaited them was only more woods. "This plan of yours is looking really lousy right about now." Crosshair mocked.

Athena bit the inside of her lip as she observed their new, yet familiar surroundings. "I don't know where to go from here." She then muttered under her breath, "Hunter's tracking skills would come really handy right about now..."

"I told you to not bring him up." Crosshair snapped, whipping around to sneer at her. "Why do you keep bringing him up?"

"I'm not trying to start something with you by doing so." Athena's nose scrunched with frustration. "Jeez, what is your problem?"

"What other reason could you have other than to agitate me?" The soldier stepped forward, sizing the bounty hunter chest to chest. He did not expect her to back down, but that didn't hold him back to glare with pure exasperation. Athena arched her neck back to confront his scowl. "I was merely saying we're lost in this forest and that both of us lack useful enhanced skills for this particular crisis. Why do you insist on taking it personally? We're lost, Crosshair," she emphasized, her fists clenched at her hips. "and frankly, you've been unhelpful today — at least I'm trying to get us unlost. I haven't heard you object nor offer other options. So how about you let go of your—"

"Quiet." Crosshair abruptly interrupted, his narrow eyes averted to the side and his lowered chin swayed to his left.

Athena scoffed in disbelief. "Really? You snap accusations at me, and then—"

"Athena!" His palm slapped over her mouth. With his other, he snatched her right bicep. His face leaned in closer. She felt his airy breath on her forehead. "Quiet." The female clone blinked in shock, but nodded in compliance. Her partner lowered his hand and turned his head the opposite direction. They both remained hushed, and silence settled around them. Though she had abided her reticence, Crosshair hovered over her and whispered, "Do you hear that?"

Athena held her breath and listened; however, she couldn't help get distracted by their close proximity. His toasted-amber eyes were so focused and his inclination much more aware. She ignored her heartbeat throbbing in her ears and concentrated.

Whoooooshhhhhhh...

Her eyes widened and locked with Crosshair's with a sharp gasp. "Water?"

————————————————————————

Athena nearly dove headfirst into the small river when they arrived. The calm rush of water had been so faint, she'd believed she imagined it. Crashing to her knees at the bank, she cupped her hands and dipped them in, her skin seizing from the water's frigidness. When she sipped it from her palms, the fresh, cool liquid cleansed her tastebuds and throat — she had tolerated the metal-tainted water from her canteen for survival purposes — and it was heaven. As she splashed and thoroughly rubbed the dried mud and dirt from her face, Crosshair knelt down next to her, refilled his cannister, and guzzled down a long swig.