Granted, they both seemed to inhale their food, a stark contrast from the Elven-king during dinner. She smiled sheepishly, setting her mug on the wooden table in front of her and began to eat her food. They were in the sitting room outside of the Elven-king's chambers.

Candles were lit around the room, painting it with a golden light. There were a few windows in the room, but the king's chambers were on the west side of the stronghold, so combined with the trees of the forest, the sun's light had not quite reached the room. An unlit fireplace sat on the opposite side of the room to the wooden table, a sofa that looked surprisingly comfy in front of it, with a small table on either side of it. A map of Greenwood the Great sat above the fireplace, paintings of its old beauty hanging on the wall. And yet, beside the map of Greenwood, sat a map of Mirkwood, with paintings of it to match as well. Behind Violet sat a painting of a younger King Thranduil and Authanar, with whom she assumed to be their parents.

A guard walked in, bowing to his king and prince. "My king, a letter just arrived via raven."

King Thranduil held his hand out in anticipation, nodding to the guard to be dismissed. He unrolled the letter, expression unreadable. Both Violet and Legolas stared at him. He looked up, met their eyes, but there was a grim look in his own.

"Sauron already has ten-thousand orcs," he said, "Azog the Defiler leads them. Our scout said they saw him in Dol Guldur specifically. He was speaking of their numbers with Sauron."

"I thought Azog was supposed to be dead?" Legolas asked.

"No, Thorin Oakenshield thought Azog to be dead, but all he did was cut off his arm. Always make sure you see your enemy die, or at least have someone who did."

"Can I see that for a minute?" Violet asked, taking the quill from the Elven-king.

"Of course," he said, pursing his lips, looking at his empty hand. Legolas smiled in amusement, continuing to talk with his father as Violet did some math. She made quick work of it, then frowned.

"By Christmas, Sauron can have twenty-eight thousand orcs... if Gaglaugh was telling the truth."

"That is grave news indeed," King Thranduil said, chewing the inside of his lip. Legolas did the same, though he seemed to be alternating between his lip and cheek. King Thranduil leaned closer to Violet. "When is Christmas?"

She sighed deeply. "I forgot you don't celebrate that holiday. It's in December."

He nods. "I have studied Earthen calendars enough to know that this 'December' is in the middle of rhîw."

"Rhîw?" She asked. Both elves smiled at her close pronunciation of Sindarin. It was obvious in her speech that it was not her native tongue, but perhaps with practice she could sound like a native speaker.

"Winter, in the common tongue," Legolas replied, patting Violet's hand that was still holding the quill, rolling it between her fingers. She nodded, replying her thanks before darting her eyes between the two of them.

"Do we trust Gaglaugh then?"

"We must... 'Tis better to trust the worst and find the best, then expect the best and find the worst," the Elven-king said, "Legolas, fix your hair and put on your shoes, then go tell your uncle this news. Tell him to inform the rest of the Council, but that we will hold no meetings, yet."

Legolas bowed his head, slipping out of the room and giving the pair one last glance, Flufflepuff clinging his tiny paws to Legolas's hair.

"Our best shot would be to lure Sauron's armies out before December, though I am unsure how," Violet said, "We need a back-up plan in case we cannot draw the dwarf and elven armies together before that time. How many numbers are in your standing army?"