fifteen.

Chapter 15: pressure

"You're getting it in my hair!" Spakry exclaimed as the Ducks sprayed coke around the locker room. Everyone cheered. The Ducks had made it to the State Championships!

Everyone was ecstatic about the win. They had won against the Cardinals 5-2 in the semifinals. Everyone was so happy that they were going to the State Championships. They never thought they would be able to do it.

After the celebration, Sparky went to the pond at Han's. She wanted to get as much practice she could before the big game.

"Conway shoots, she scores! The Ducks win the State Championships!" Sparky exclaimed after shooting the puck at the goal. She skated around the ice with her stick in the air.

"That's some move, Spark."

"Ah!" Sparky exclaimed turning around. Gordon was chuckling on the bench as he put his skates on.

"What're you doing out so late?" Gordon asked. Sparky smiled as she skated around the pond.

"Practicing. I gotta be perfect against the Hawks tomorrow." Sparky said. Gordon chuckled again and stood up. He got on the ice and started to skate.

"I did that when I was a kid. I did it before my Championship game. I'd practice everyday until I was close to frostbite." Gordon said. Sparky smiled then grabbed her puck from the goal.

"Think we'll win tomorrow?" Sparky asked as she grabbed the puck.

"No matter what, I'm proud of all of you guys." Gordon said. Sparky smiled and placed the puck down. She shot it at the goal, it went in and she skated towards the goal.

"When I was in high school I'd practice every night before the championship game, except for the night before." Gordon said as Sparky grabbed the puck again.

"Did it work?"

"We won first place, so." Gordon said. Sparky sighed and put her stick down for a second.

"What if I mess it all up coach. What if I don't play well and we lose?" Sparky asked Gordon.

"That'll only happen if you keep pressuring yourself. I know that you used to carry the team on your back, but things have changed. You don't have to be perfect all the time." Gordon said as Sparky grabbed another puck. She picked up her stick and shot it at the goal.

"I don't wanna let my team down, coach." Sparky said. Gordon sighed and looked down.

"Sit down with me, kid." Gordon said. Sparky skated over to the bench and sat down.

"What if I mess it up, coach. What if I make us lose?" Sparky asked him with an upset tone in her voice.

"I've seen you play before, Sparky. The mistakes you make are from being afraid of making them." Gordon said. Sparky nodded her head and looked at him. "The biggest mistake is the attitude on the ice." Gordon said to her.

"Those dang Hawks just get me so angry." Sparky said. Gordon nodded his head in understanding.

"I know. Tomorrow you can't get angry at them." Gordon said. Sparky sighed looking down.

"That's a tough one, coach." Sparky told Gordon.

"Here, if you want to say something, or hit somebody. You clench your fist, you act like you're about to punch them but you just don't. Get it?" Gordon asked her. Sparky nodded her head.

"Yeah." Sparky said looking down.

"And tonight, rest."

"But-"

"Seriously. You're physicking yourself out." Gordon said as Sparky bit at her nail.

"But-"

"Go home, and rest. You don't need to carry the team on your back, you have people who can do things other than slip and fall." Gordon said. Sparky nodded her head. She sighed and took a deep breath.

"Okay, coach." Sparky said. She took her skates off as Gordon stood up.

"And that deke you were practicing, use it tomorrow." Gordon told her. Sparky nodded her head. "Triple deke?" Gordon asked as Sparky walked away.

"Yeah, my dad taught it to me a while ago." Sparky said fiddling with the zipper of her jacket. Gordon nodded his head. "Then he took off." Sparky said looking down.

"It's not your fault, Spark." Gordon said and Sparky nodded.

"I know, I just don't know know." Sparky admitted. Gordon sighed with a nod of his head.

"I'll see you, coach." Sparky said and walked off.

"See you, kid."