Zaria reluctantly relented, letting Jesper hold her hand, she knew that he was right, that she needed to stop fighting and accept his support.

"I'm sorry," she said her voice barely above a whisper. "It's hard to control." Jesper gave her hand a reassuring squeeze. "I know it's hard, Z. That's why I'm here. It's very fucking annoying when you fight this all alone."

Zaria felt a sense of warmth spread through her as Jesper's words sunk in, he was right, she didn't have to fight this battle alone.

"yeah..." and sure enough, her hand stopped shaking and Jesper places her hand on his revolvers, to feel the coldness and for her burning hands to turn back into their usual temperature.

Wylan reached for one of the crackers Jesper had dumped on the table, It was still disconcerting to see him and Kuwei in the same room.

Nina's tailoring had been so successful that Matthias often had trouble telling them apart until they spoke, he wished one of them would do him the courtesy of wearing a hat.

but Zaria knew them, she knew the crows by heart, knew Wylan especially to tell them apart and the boy was grateful that at least one didn't have trouble.

"This is good for us," said Kaz, "The Shu and the Fjerdans don't know where to start looking for Kuwei, and all those diplos making trouble at the Stadhall are going to create some nice noise to distract Van Eck'

"What happened at Smeet's office?" Zaria finally asked leaning against Jesper who placed his hand on her waist, Kaz tried not to look at the sharpshooter's hands on his lover's waist, it should be him.

"Did you find out where Van Eck is keeping Inej?" she asked in hope, "I have a pretty good idea. We strike tomorrow at midnight." Zaria sighed in relief.

"Is that enough time to prepare?" asked Wylan, "It's all the time we have. We're not going to wait for an engraved invitation. What's your progress on the weevil?"

Jesper's brows shot up in interest, "The weevil?" Wylan removed a small vial from his coat and set it down on the table.

Matthias bent to peer at it, It looked like a bunch of pebbles, That's a... weevil?" the word seemed strange coming out of his lips, "A weevil..." Zaria trailed off, trying to pronounce the word as well with her accent.

He thought of weevils as pests that got into grain stores, "Not a real weevil," said Wylan, It's a chemical weevil. It doesn't really have a name yet."

"You've got to give it a name," said Jesper smirking, it made Wylan redden immediately, and Zaria chuckle at the two lovebirds, "How else will you call it to dinner?"

"Forget what it's called," Kaz said making Zaria roll her eyes for breaking the moment, "What matters is that this little vial is going to eat Van Eck's bank accounts and his reputation."

Wylan cleared his throat. “Possibly. The chemistry is complicated. I was hoping Kuwei would help." Zaria noticed how there was slight annoyance at the mention of Kuwei.

she raised an eyebrow, more confused than ever.

Nina said something to Kuwei in Shu, which made him shrug and look away, lip jutting out slightly.

Whether it was the recent death of his father or the fact that he’d found himself stuck in a cemetery with a band of thieves, the boy had become increasingly sullen.