Chapter 8: (Don't go.)

Everything was back to what they used to be after that day.

Or at least, that's what Yeonjun thought. Wanted.

It was easy though, Yeonjun liked to think, pretending that everything was fine and back to the usual, that is. Yeonjun could just swallow the words that dared to spill, Yeonjun could just bite his tongue whenever he felt like he'd confess again, and Yeonjun could just shove his hands into his pockets whenever Beomgyu's was too near to him. There was too much self-restraint, too much backing away. Yeonjun swore there'd be bite marks on his tongue by now. Yeonjun swore Beomgyu would notice by now.

But Beomgyu never brought it up. Beomgyu hadn't said anything about that day even when a week already passed. Yeonjun didn't know what to feel. Should he be relieved?

It broke Yeonjun's heart a little more.

"Yeonjun," the little one called as he stood in front of Yeonjun who was seated on his desk. "Let's eat at the convenience store on our way home later?"

"Sure," Yeonjun nodded. Seemingly trying to compose himself. Act like you usually did before. Act the same. Act like what Beomgyu's always known.

Was it easy being best friends with the person you're so in love with?

(No.) Yeonjun watched as Beomgyu smiled and walked back to his seat. (It feels like I'm killing myself every time I have to pretend.)

(It feels like...) As Yeonjun shoved his books into his bag, his eyes wandered to where Beomgyu was. He looked at him. Stared. Yeonjun ended up averting his gaze when Beomgyu turned his way. (It feels like I'm going to go absolutely insane if I have to bite my tongue one more time.)

Yeonjun didn't know how much longer he could pretend that everything was fine.

(...)

"What are you going to eat?" Beomgyu asked, hands holding onto the straps of his bag.

Yeonjun hummed, eyes looking ahead of them, "I don't know. Maybe just a corndog?"