Chapter 7: (I wish you weren't.)

Yeonjun woke up the next day with his head spinning and his arm feeling numb. His eyes blinked, squinted as he avoided his gaze over the open window of his bedroom. The sunlight seeped through and crawled on his skin. He still wore his uniform from yesterday. Yeonjun sighed, and his head hurt. Yeonjun, still in his drowsy state, was about to sit up when he felt a weight pushing him back on the sheets. And that was when he discovered why his arm was feeling numb. Yeonjun stared at Beomgyu.

The little one was sleeping next to him: his duvet covering him whole, his head peeking out from the soft material, and Yeonjun's arm laid flatly under his cheek. Beomgyu was breathing heavily, hands holding on to the hem of Yeonjun's shirt.

Yeonjun woke up the next day with his best friend asleep next to him.

It was on instances like this that would have Yeonjun curl to his knees again. Every time Beomgyu carelessly dozed off next to him, Yeonjun would realize that he was in love again and again and again, ceaselessly, and it got to a point where it would start threading the needle between "I'm his best friend" and "I'm just his best friend". Then Yeonjun wouldn't know what to do, what to feel, or how to react to that specific situation.

Beomgyu hummed in his sleep, hands wrapped even tighter around Yeonjun's waist. Yeonjun closed his eyes, his numb hand reached over to caress the back of Beomgyu's head. Yeonjun pulled himself closer to Beomgyu's space of breathing, wanting to breathe the same air as him—wanting to be closer, wanting to forget about what took place yesterday. Yeonjun tried to not let it bother him. 

Nevertheless, every time Yeonjun tried to care a little less, he always ended up caring a little too much.

What happened yesterday... this bedroom was filled with tension just the night before, Yeonjun wanted to talk, Beomgyu tried to run away, and soon after, Yeonjun succumbed to Beomgyu's response. Yeonjun couldn't bring himself to speak when the person he wanted to listen to him wouldn't even look him in the eye. Beomgyu always met Yeonjun's gaze, but just last night, Beomgyu couldn't even look at Yeonjun. It ripped Yeonjun apart.

Just the mere feeling of Beomgyu's nails digging through the material of his uniform tore Yeonjun apart.

"I rejected Kai."

Beomgyu's silence deafened Yeonjun right after. It felt like Beomgyu's lack of continuation in his words screamed through his ears. (Then what?) Yeonjun looked at him, fingers cutting his palms open. (Then what, Beomgyu?)