Chapter 4: (It hurts.)

"Kai confessed to me."

Yeonjun did not know what it felt like when the person you like is interested in someone who was not you. And Yeonjun certainly did not want to seek that feeling with his very own hands, but right now, as he looked at Beomgyu who told him many things about some guy named Kai, Yeonjun could sense the needle gashing his skin and piercing him open—apart, through and through. Beomgyu was giving him speeches about a certain boy and Yeonjun had thrown out paragraphs he wish he could say at that moment.

But amongst all these thousand letters, only four words survived to quench Yeonjun's unending curiosity.

"Do you like him?"

Four words but they hurt.

Four words Yeonjun never thought—never dreamed himself to ask.

Not today, and not in other lifetimes.

"I have no idea," Beomgyu looked far away from what was beyond the path of the river before them. His eyes were searching through the city at the edge of where they stood: outside of the school, with a vending machine behind them, and an all too familiar body of water in front of them. Sparkly and it almost looked golden in Beomgyu's eyes—it was sunset, and the river looked the most beautiful during these times.

"He suddenly just confessed to me yesterday and said that he'd wait for an answer," Beomgyu's hair danced with the wind, "I know what answer he's waiting for but I don't know how to give him that."

"Why?" Yeonjun couldn't breathe, "Do you not like him?" (Please say yes.)

Beomgyu glanced at him before laughing, "It's not that I don't like him. Kai's a great guy, I think we get along really well."

Yeonjun hated that he knew where this conversation was going. Yeonjun hated that he could feel it, it was oozing out of Beomgyu's lips and eyes and it hurt. Yeonjun suddenly saw random events flash before his eyes: Beomgyu walking home with someone who wasn't him, Beomgyu eating lunch with someone who wasn't him, Beomgyu dancing on the streets with someone who wasn't him, Beomgyu who was in love with someone—

Yeonjun hung his head low, hands choking the can of cola in his hands. (...someone who wasn't me.)