Chapter 7

I sleepily lifted my head to look at the buzzing flip phone on my bedside table. I rolled over on my big double bed to reach my arm out to get it. I opened it so see the caller ID. It was a small picture of a certain brunette hanging himself and smiling.Ugh.

"What do you want Dazai? You should know I'm not a morning person" I answered in a groggy voice as I pressed the green accept button and brought the phone up to my ear, letting out a yawn in the process.

"I know, I know Neko-chan, and I wouldn't call if it weren't super important, but I'm kinda in a life or death situation right now" he said, a hint of pain laced his voice and I could tell he'd done something stupid while trying to off himself again, my best guess is that he got stuck somewhere.

"You're stuck aren't you?" I deadpanned, rubbing my eyes and stretching by arms, trying to keep myself awake for this conversation but failing. The sun was shining through the huge window on my wall, illuminating the room and the balcony outside it and I could hear the birds chirping outside. It was a beautiful morning, but I was not bothered to get up and enjoy it.

"Yes" he said after a short pause "But it's really important, Neko-chan! I might die"

"Oh, congrats. You're finally getting your wish"

"But not like this, Neko-chan! I want to die a happy, successful, painless suicide. But this isn't painless! It hurts! A lot. So if you could pretty please-" he was cut off by me pressing the red button, opposite the green one I'd pressed earlier and throwing my phone back onto the bedside table. But, much to my dismay, as soon as I had yeeted the small, metal object onto the light wood coloured table it began to vibrate once again. Uggggggggh.

I picked up the phone in the same way I had the first time and was about to open it to tell Dazai to shut the hell up, when I saw the caller ID but didn't see the brunette animation but this time it was a little picture of a blonde man with a furious expression and smoke coming out of his ears. Great. I cleared my throat before pressing the bright green button once again, but this time, instead of sounding like a dying witch that had just got out of bed, I sounded happy and chirpy, like I had been awake for hours.

"Good morning, Kunikida-san!" I practically sang into the phone, sitting up in my bed, stroking my black cat that had woken up and was now sitting on my lap, purring softly. I knew the question he was about to ask me and was preparing myself to answer it as convincingly as humanly possible.

"Are you out of bed?" he asked in his usual grave tone, and I could practically see him, his permanent scowl on his face. "Don't forget, today is the brat's entrance exam, so don't be late!" he spoke loudly through the phone, so loudly that I had to hold it out a bit away from my ear. "Yup" I chirped in reply, "I'm actually just heading out the door now" I said as I slowly got out of bed and walked over to my bedroom door, opening it and slamming it shut again so Kunikida would think that I just left the house. "Ok, see you in a bit"

"Bye~" I said into the phone, before plopping back down in bed and slowly drifting off to sleep again.

ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ

"Neko-chan, wakey-wakey" I heard a familiar voice say as the door to my bedroom was flung open by Dazai, who had seemingly become unstuck from wherever he was when he called me, followed by Atsushi, who was nervously scuttling behind his superior, looking around cautiously, and closing the door gently before saying "Sorry to wake you, Kamakami-chan".

I just groaned in response, plopping my pillow onto my head and using it to cover my ears.

"Don't be like that, Neko-chan" said Dazai, a fake pout on his lips as he ripped the blanket off the bed, causing me to moan in annoyance and throw my pillow at him, which he swiftly dodged and it hit Atsushi square in the face instead of my intended victim. "Come on, be grateful I got here before Kunikida-kun did. He wouldn't be asking nicely like I am, he'd be dragging you out of bed". He was right.