H01 "Friends just wanna have fun"

It was nearly midnight as I strolled through the city streets with my pals, a routine we followed every Friday night. Our crew of ten—four guys and six girls—had been close-knit for years. Bonds had formed, some mere friendships, others blossoming into relationships, yet none among us held any animosity toward the others.

"Where are we headed, Remy?" I heard a deep voice behind me, belonging to Fabian, whose bass tones echoed in the quiet night.

"To the pub," I replied, turning to Fabian, met with murmurs of approval from the group behind me.

Lisa walked beside me, followed closely by Jesper. "How does it feel to be living on your own now?" Lisa inquired.

I took a few moments, pretending to ponder her question, enjoying teasing Lisa. Our bond allowed for such playful banter; we knew each other's limits.

Jesper lightly nudged my shoulder, more playful than forceful. I turned to him, feigning innocence. "Why'd you hit me, man? I could sense the question," I said, keeping a straight face.

"Quit the gossip, dude," Jesper retorted with a smile, and we all burst into laughter.

Glancing back, I spotted Fabian and Dilara walking, locked in a passionate kiss. They'd been a couple for some time now, and everyone hoped it stayed that way. Bringing up the rear were Almas, Maite, Hannelore, and Rosanne, arm in arm, chatting merrily with Lucas.

Shaking my head, I turned and walked backward, calling out to Lucas, "After all these years, I still can't figure out how you manage with the ladies!"

Lucas understood my jest and laughed. "It's either in you or it isn't, kid," causing everyone to chuckle.

As we reached a shopping center, still open due to several late-night pubs catering to students, Jesper suggested, "How about this one?"

"Or the new one nearby; they say there are some fine ladies there," Fabian added.

Dilara looked at him questioningly.

"I meant there might be some for Jesper or Remy," Fabian quickly clarified before giving Dilara a fleeting kiss.

Lucas nodded in agreement, turning to me. "Shall we go on a girl hunt?"

I smiled in response. "Sounds like a plan."

With Fabian now leading the way, we continued our stroll.

As we walked for about ten minutes through narrow streets, the night grew colder, and a northern wind picked up. I raised my collar and buttoned my coat to the top; I'd always been sensitive to the cold. Sensing my discomfort, Hannelore put her arm around me, and I reciprocated, jesting, "Feeling cold, Remy?"

It seemed my body wanted to confirm it, as a shiver ran down my spine. "Yes, aren't you?" I replied.

She smiled, placing her hand against my chilly face, which felt delightfully warm. "Well, you're freezing," I responded, somewhat envious.

The pub bore the name 'The Cozy Haven.' Descriptions praised its snug ambiance, but all I cared about was escaping the biting cold; my hands felt stiff and frozen, despite my futile attempts to warm them.

However, just as we reached the door, Lucas suddenly halted. "Has anyone seen my phone?"

Everyone turned around.

"Isn't it in one of your pockets?" Dilara asked.

I caught Lucas searching his pockets and then shaking his head. "Damn it," he muttered.

"Where did you last have it?" Jesper inquired.

"Um..." Lucas paused, a rarity for him. "I think it was at that place where I had to pee."

"Pee," Rosanne corrected.

"Yeah, whatever."

"Do we have to trek all the way back?" I said, slightly irritated, not so much at the distance but the prospect of enduring the cold again.

"How about two of us go back, and the rest head inside?" Lisa suggested after a brief silence.

All the girls nodded in agreement. I wanted to do the same, but it might have portrayed the wrong image to my buddies, so I nonchalantly stood my ground.

"Okay, Remy and I will go look for my phone," Lucas declared.

"Why me?" I wanted to protest, but before I could defend myself, the group had made a decision.

"Sounds good," Almas cheered, smiling at the warmth awaiting them inside the pub. Meanwhile, I'd be trudging back in the cold with Lucas, even though losing his phone had been his responsibility, not mine. I shot her a dirty look.

"Thanks for coming along, man," Lucas said.

"Don't really have a choice, do I?"

"Come on, cheer up," Lucas chuckled, looking at me.

"Aren't you worried about your phone?" I couldn't suppress a hint of annoyance.

Lucas exhaled, forming a white cloud in the cold air. Then, he pulled a phone triumphantly from his pocket.

"You've got to be kidding me," I said, irritated, turning to head back to the pub.

"Wait, Remy..."

"Seriously, why pretend your phone's lost?"

"Because I wanted to talk to you privately..."

My mouth fell open in surprise. "Couldn't that be done somewhere warm?"

Lucas nodded. "But it's more suitable here."

I tilted my head, still slightly annoyed. "What do you want to say?"

"It's about the devil."

I wanted to burst into laughter but held back, seeing Lucas' serious expression. "Go on."

"It all started last week..."

But before he could continue, a car sped around the corner suddenly. Lucas dodged, yelling something. I tried to move, but fear paralyzed me. The car came straight at me.

There was a collision.

A scream, then silence.

Silence.

I felt nothing, no pain, no voices, just silence...