The past

[A few years earlier, Blanche HQ]

Holding something in their hands, two men were walking along a dark and narrow corridor. Suddenly, the one on the left said,

"Ne, brother Yang. I heard that the boss was appreciated a lot by the higher ups for the goods we brought this time- but he hasn't shared anything with us. Don't you think that's unfair?"

"Shut up Chen. We don't talk about the boss. Remember what happened to Gou? You want that to happen to you too? Just be glad we even got paid," replied Yang, with a grim expression on his face.

"Oh come on brother Yang, it's not like the boss can hear us down here. Look around, we're literally hundreds of metres below ground, surrounded on all sides. Nobody can hear us," said Chen, scoffing.

" Chen! I told you to shut up. Even the walls have ears here. Let's just give them their food and leave," said Yang, not wanting to bicker more.

"Fine, fine."

And so, the duo continued walking along in silence. After a few minutes of walking, the corridor opened up into a wider corridor, the only difference - this one was between two rows of cells. Nearly 20 metres long, this corridor was lined with 2m x 2m cells on both sides. The only lighting it had was a limited amount of sunlight through holes in the ceiling. For a toilet, each cell just had a hole in the ground, which resulted in the corridor being filled with the stench; one of excrement, decay and sweat-a result of the sweltering heat that plagued this area.

The duo, having prepared for this, immediately put on air filtering masks and then moved forward towards the last few cells. Contrary to what one might believe, most of the cells were empty, the only signs of someone occupying it being the decaying bodies that were far beyond recognition. Ignoring them, the duo kept moving forward. Reaching the last cell on the left, Yang stepped forward and took out a key from his pocket. Opening the lock, he slid open the cell door and motioned for Chen to enter. Entering, Chen placed the box he was holding down in the middle, and then went around waking up the inhabitants of the cell. Looking around, he noticed that all of them were huddled in the only clean corner of the cell. Walking straight towards them, he gave each of them a kick in their stomach, not caring whether he would hurt them or not. However, he stopped before hitting the final one, a small girl who was squeezed into the corner. Instead of kicking her, he slapped her a few times before making his way back.

Feeling the sudden pain, the three boys and one girl immediately opened their eyes and quickly crawled to the centre of the cell, as if already used to the pain. They all crowded around the box Chen brought, yet none of them dared to open it. All they did was stare at it greedily, while glancing at Chen multiple times. They looked like loyal dogs, not daring to take the food by themselves, and instead waiting for their master to give it to them. Seeing this, Chen gave a wide smile and then opened the box, inside which was a slimy, yellowish ... liquid. However, before the children could take any of it, he immediately closed it, all the while smiling like a madman. Noticing this, Yang walked in and smacked Chen on the head lightly,

"Why're you playing with the materials? Just give them their food and let's get out of here. This place is horrible," he said, as he wrenched open the lid of the box and once again left the cell, all the while making sure his feet didn't touch anything that was not the floor.

Seeing this, Chen sighed and got up, motioning the kids that they can eat now. Suddenly, his eyes lit up and he hit his palm with his fist,

"Brother Yang! I just remembered something! The Boss told us to bring the girl upstairs. Apparently, the Big Boss is interested in her powers!"

Hearing this, Yang immediately turned around to look at Chen,

"Fool! You should've told me sooner! What if you had forgotten it?" he screamed,