Why?

~𝑌/𝑛 𝑃𝑂𝑉~

I looked up at the tree branch, seeing Naruto's shadow clones holding Gaara up. "Gaara.." I sadly said. I struggled to rise myself up out of Naruto's arms, but once I did, I slowly trotted towards the tree Gaara resided in.

Using the bit of strength I had, I jumped onto the branch. "Careful, sis!" one of the shadow clones said. "Yeah! Don't strain yourself!" the other one said. I gently removed Gaara from their arms. I crouched down on my knees, delicately holding Gaara in my arms like a child.

I sniffed as I stared at his pale face, his eyes shut. My mind tried to convince me that he was just sleeping, resting. But, as I ran my hand down his ice cold face, I could only be painfully aware of the truth. The boy I fell for is gone.

I ran my hand up across his cold cheek, to his hair. My eyes blurred as tears welled up in them. That usual soft smile he had when he looked at me, those bright green eyes that sparkled as they met mine. It's gone.. All gone. I hadn't got to speak to him in nearly three years, and now I never will.

Suddenly, I heard the sound of kunai clacking. My head shot in the direction of the noise. I grunted, about to stand up. "[Y/n], no! You're in no condition to fight him again. We can't have you going out of control again, either." Kakashi-sensei shouted at me. I clicked my tongue.

I don't like having to observe the fighting from afar, but Kakashi-sensei's right. I'm in no state to intervene. "I'm getting Gaara out of here." I stated, standing up and gently tossing Gaara over my shoulder. "But, sis-." one of Naruto's shadow clones said.

Without a word, I took off. Leaving the commotion behind me.

____________

I arrived at an open field and placed Gaara down on the soft blades of grass. I put both of my hands on his chest, and started the healing process.

It'll work.

His body remained stiff.

It's gonna work.

His face remained pale.

It has to.

Even as I heard the sound of rumbling in the direction where I left Naruto and the others, I kept my hands planted on his chest.

The world around us seemed to spin into darkness as I focused my vision on his face.

Eventually, I didn't have anymore energy to continue trying to heal him.

I plopped my hands down onto my lap, still staring at his lifeless body, as the icy hands of the reaper held onto his shoulders.

My breath hitched, and the sudden realization dawned on me.

𝗛𝗲'𝘀 𝗴𝗼𝗻𝗲.

My breathing picked up as I began hyperventilating. Every memory we shared came flashing back in my mind. From the time I saw him standing in that tree, telling Kankuro to stand down, up until this very moment.

He's really gone. My first crush, the only boy I fell for was gone.

I wrapped my arms around my body and dung my nails into my skin. My head pounded and my heart raced. Warm tears rolled down my cheeks. I took a deep breath, before letting out a mournful wail.

Fresh tears dropped onto the grass, as I held my head down, sobbing aloud

Fresh tears dropped onto the grass, as I held my head down, sobbing aloud. Why? Why? Why?!

"Sis." I heard.

My head shot up. I slightly turned my head to see everyone staring at me. Naruto was giving me a sympathetic look. He crouched down beside me. I immediately lunged into his arms, crying into his shoulder. The sound of his slight sobs filled my ears.

"Why? Why is it always Gaara? If he dies like this—" he started. He paused, struggling to contain his emotions. He held onto me tightly. "He's the Kazekage. He 𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁 became the Kazekage." Naruto angrily stated.

"Try to calm yourselves. [Y/n] and Naruto Uzumaki." Lady Chiyo said. Rage boiled over inside of me. How could she tell us to calm down? How could she be so calm?

I was about to give her a piece of my mind, but Naruto had it handled. "You shut up!" he shouted at her. We both glared at her, tears running down our face. She was taken aback by his outburst.

"Just shut up! How dare you tell us to calm down. How dare you tell my sister to calm down! If all of you sand shinobi hadn't put a monster inside of Gaara then none of this would've ever happened to him! Did you ever even consider how Gaara felt? Did you ever even ask?!" he shouted. He paused again, as he gently rubbed my back, as I sobbed into his shoulder.

"Calling us Jinchuuriki and monsters. What gives you the right to label us? Who are you to decide someone else's fate?" he angrily asked. He tightened his grip around me, as he joined me in mourning over Gaara.

 He tightened his grip around me, as he joined me in mourning over Gaara

"I couldn't save Sasuke. And I can't save Gaara either. For three years I've trained so hard but nothing has changed." he bawled. "𝗪𝗲'𝘃𝗲 trained so hard." I added, my tears slightly slowing. I began catching my breath, as my tears slowly stopped falling.

Then, I heard foot steps going towards Gaara. I quickly leaned my head up to see Granny Chiyo standing in front of Gaara. As she sat down beside him, I departed from Naruto's arms to see what she was planning to do.

She placed her hands on his chest, before admitting chakra from her hands. Waves seemed to blow across the grass. As she seemed to be pouring her chakra into his body.

"Lady Chiyo, that jutsu!" Sakura exclaimed. Lady Chiyo slightly turned around to look at her. She then gave her a soft smile, before turning back around.

I observed her actions closer, flipping through all the jutsus I've studied in my head. Jutsus from the sand..

Then, it hit me.

My eyes widened, and I covered my mouth in shock. "What, sis? What is it?" Naruto frantically asked me. "That jutsu is.." I started, my body still in shock.

"Oh, Lady Chiyo, you—." Sakura began. "I don't get it. What's she tryna do?" Naruto confusedly asked.

She's using one of the jutsus created by the sand.

This is..