24. Sports Festival... End...

En başından başla

     "Ah. Welp, too late now!" Cinder released the spell. It hurt her hand a little as she pressed the fireball against the wall of the barrier while it slowly expanded, but it was nothing she wasn't used to.

     "Cinder!" Linnea screeched.

     "Bye!" Cinder chirped, chuckling.

     Linnea's voice was quiet, and it faded even further into the distance as Cinder ran away. "I worry..."

     Cinder swore she would make it up to Linnea when it was shown that her efforts were worthwhile. When House Dragon won.

     "Where the hell were you?!" Clarisse screeched. "We've been waiting here for fifteen minutes for you to come back and put the flags in."

      "Sorry. I got these," Cinder apologized, gesturing to the two flags as she pulled them out of her pocket. 

      Clarisse pointed to the tree behind her with her thumb. "We stashed our flags we got in the tree, and the others went to get more."

     "Alright, I'll put them up. You can go get more too, now."

     Cinder fetched the flags from the tree in groups of four. She had to hand it to the group; they were good at fighting. There were ten in total, counting Cinder's flags. The number of golden flags meant House Chimera was probably out.

     The announcer's voice finally blared through speakers mounted onto trees. "This marks halfway, and halfway through the houses remaining as well! House Dragon and House Unicorn remain! Good luck, contestants."

     The fatigue and weakness from expending too much magic had never come at a more inconvenient time.

     Cinder's knees buckled, and she leaned on her staff to try to stay standing upright before her fingers shook and her grip weakened. She slid to the ground and landed on the fresh snow. The bonfire protecting the flags right behind her flickered out.

     The snow felt nice on her wounds. She could just fall asleep.

     "No, don't give up," Cinder told herself. She willed her arms to move and prop herself up. "You can't lose. For all of them, for Sir Richard, for Criss, for Linnea, and for all the others who worry. It can't be for nothing."

      The snow in front of Cinder crunched. Cinder's vision was blurry, but she could have sworn it was Linnea. Did she think she could just walk up and take the flags without conflict?

     Linnea reached out a hand. "Let me help you."

     Cinder was baffled. "What? But if I take your hand, that's tagging you."

     Linnea nodded. "I'm going to forfeit. Let me help you get back to the field so you can get those wounds treated."

      Cinder had no words. She did not move. Her eyes were heavy, but she fought sleep.

     Linnea's voice cracked this time. "Please. You're hurt, and we're all worried. Victory can wait. You've proven yourself enough."

     Tears fell to the ground. Cinder had no energy to look up, but the tiny droplets melted a little bit of snow.

     "Would you understand if I explained?" Cinder whispered. Her throat was dry, and it hurt to talk, but she was determined to make this make sense to Linnea.

     Linnea crouched down to meet Cinder at eye level. "You can talk to me, but nothing will ever justify getting yourself hurt for some dumb bragging rights."

     "Please..." Cinder's throat tightened. "I just... I heard them all talking about me, and for the first time, it wasn't them looking down on me. Calling me dumb, or useless, or a-- a monster."

      Linnea smiled gently, but the tears didn't stop pouring from her eyes. "I understand. That doesn't make what you did right, but I understand. I'll be here for you, though. Always."

     Cinder's eyes started watering, but it was probably just the fatigue again. "I'm so sorry." Her voice cracked.  "I didn't mean to make anyone worry, I just wanted to show my stuff. Make them second-guess themselves."

      "It'll be okay. Rest, then apologize, okay?" Linnea paused. "Can you walk, or do I need to carry you?"

      Cinder paused. On one hand, she did want to be carried. On the other, she would absolutely die of embarrassment if she was ever seen in Linnea's arms.

      "Okay." Linnea grunted as she picked up Cinder and held her in both arms like some sort of princess being saved by a knight. Except, the actual princess was the knight.

      Cinder's heart was pounding, and her face was burning, but she somehow felt safer. She hid her face in Linnea's jacket. Linnea was warm. It was nice. 

      Linnea laid Cinder down on the bleachers and left to go tell the announcer that she had forfeit her position on House Unicorn. When she returned, Criss finally spoke.

     "Cinder, are you okay?" Criss asked. 

     Cinder's eyes finally overflowed. It felt odd. Oddly satisfying, oddly healing, and oddly comforting. Linnea held Cinder once again, and it was nice to be hugged. She hadn't felt that in years. She didn't know how much she had needed that until she had it.

     "wE moveD tO sEe bEtter, aNd saw eveRything oN thE sCreen..." Crispy added. Linnea visibly flinched when she realized he was there, under the bleachers.

     Cinder strained to look up. Her vision was blurry, and her face felt yucky, congested, and gross. There was indeed a magically augmented flat screen on the stage. It was split in four ways, showing different groups of people from different angles as they raced by the trees marked with the surveillance sigils.

     Criss's gaze fell to the ground. "There's audio, too."

     Cinder was silent.

     Crispy poked his head out from under the bleachers and looked at Cinder's face and hand.

     "Can you heal her?" Criss asked, somewhat brusque.

     Crispy shook his head. "nO."

     Criss screeched, "Why not?!"

     "Criss, don't be mean--" Linnea started.

     "i Don'T wAnt tO diE toDay. i drOpped my LasT rAtions. If i ExErt mYself, tHaT mIght be it for me, and she'S vEry hurt."

     Cinder nodded, sniffled, then finally spoke, though her voice was gone. "Fair."

     Criss huffed. "I just... I care a lot about my friends. And if you're in danger, I will not hesitate to crush Crispin like a soda can to save you, if that's what it takes."

      Crispy flinched, but he then nodded in understanding. "yEs. and i WouLd dO thAt for you guyS. afTer all, thOugh i maY nOt have a homE now, for the time beIng, i aM safe."

     "Just, sit the last one out," Linnea pleaded. Cinder nodded. 

     "Oh, is that your friend?" Madame Talon suddenly asked. She'd appeared from nowhere. 

     Crispy flinched again and looked back under the bleachers, before he realized that since he'd been busted, running would only make it worse.

      "Let's get him his registration papers, then," Madame added.

     Crispy's eyes widened. "whAt?!"