12. The Solstice Festival

Author's Note: This chapter is brought to you by algebra class.

Two Days Later

     Laia looked around. "Woah, there aren't a lot of people here."

     Cinder blew on her hands and rubbed her hands together to warm them up. It was a cold day-- today had brought the first snow of winter, from the looks of it. 

     A couple of flakes of snow fell on Linnea's head, and Linnea looked up at Cinder and smiled. Cinder's heart skipped several beats. In fact, her heart skipped more than ten. It felt like her heart had tripped on something. Her heart had probably fallen down more stairs than Cinder had at the dance.

     "If you want, you can take my gloves," Linnea offered. "Your hands are going to get chapped."

     Cinder shook her head. "I don't want gloves. They're scratchy."

     Linnea nodded a little bit. She looked down at her own dark purple gloves and half of her face was buried in her light blue scarf.

     "I didn't figure there would be so many followers of Dea in this town," Laia noted. "Why would they set up a festival on this day, anyways? Did they just not think it through?"

      Criss's eye was wide. They were looking around at the whole rest of the festival. They made eye contact with one of the carnies and immediately started shaking.

     Cinder looked over at them with concern. "Criss?"

     Criss took a deep breath. "I'm... I think I'll go back. I can't stay."

     "We'll go with you," Harris announced.

     Cinder, Laia, and Linnea all nodded.

     Criss shook their head. "Never mind. I'll try to manage. I don't want to ruin it for all of you. I just won't make eye contact. Or eat anything. Or keep my head up."

     "You good?" Cinder asked.

     "It's just me." They let out another shaky breath. "It's probably not actually dangerous here. I'm overreacting again."

     "Criss?" Cinder turned to look at Criss and put a hand on their shoulder. "If you need anyone to talk to, I'm here."

     Criss nodded. They squinted, almost looking as though they were trying to hold back tears. "Thank you. I'm sorry you guys had to see me so... weak."

     Criss waved Cinder away as they plastered on a small smile. "Now, go hang out with your girlfriend. I'll go with Laia and Harris."

     Cinder turned bright red. "You...!" She then grinned. "Stay safe."

     Cinder and Linnea ran down the street, hand in hand, just like they'd run across the rooftops that night.

     Linnea stopped after a few minutes. "Ferris wheel!"

     "You like them?" Cinder asked as the two got in line.

     "Yep. Plus, I figured since we were here to relax, this would be a nice chance to sit and talk, all while getting a pretty view."

     "Makes sense. Is there anything else you wanted to do?"

     Linnea thought for a moment. "The darts game, maybe. I could easily win something nice. How about you? Somewhere you want to go?"

     Cinder's face burned. Not quite literally, but close. She could almost see steam. 

     "I, uh..." Cinder's voice cracked many times as she tried to buy time to think. She ended up losing her train of thought. "Don't know."