Chapter III

Vishaka stormed into her chambers. After dismissing all her lady-maids, she plopped on to the bed, her body finding the slightest comfort in the cashmere sheets and pillows. Her eyes traversed the carved walls above her bed, the shawls of different patterns and colours that lay on the pillars of her bed-frame and finally to the mirror where she could get a good stare at her self. Her eyes were puffy and red from all the crying.

But she had to do it. She was the Princess and it was her duty to do what was best for the kingdom.

But what about her heart? Her throbbing heart that could not digest being married, and at such a young age. She always knew she would be married off, it was customary for this to happen. Then why did she have a fear in her heart, an sense of hurriedness?

The door knocked and in came a lady-maid.

"Rajkumar Ambar requests your presence"

"Let him in," she gestured.

Ambar came in, in a rather chirpy mood.

"My dear little sister, finally getting married. You don't understand how much joy this gives me. Me all alone in this beautiful palace. Peace at last," he sang and did a little dance.

Which was very annoying by the way.

Vishaka stood silent, her eyes threatening to fill up again.

Ambar noticed her water laden eyes, and sat beside her. He let out a long sigh and continued,

"Now Vish, I know this all seems daunting, and too sudden, but I know it will all be fine. Appa has finalized this alliance, so it has to be perfect for you. If not in destiny, have faith in Appa."

Vishaka looked at her brother earnestly, "And you're telling me that marrying me off at 18 isn't unusual? There has to be something wrong. I saw the look in his eyes, the sense of urgency."

"If it really helps the kingdom, and if Appa is so affected by it, why would you delay the matter further? Why would you not give your consent?"

Vishaka stayed silent.

"Unless..." Ambar probed, "You like someone! You like someone, don't you? Now it all makes sense."

"No. I don't. I don't associate myself with such ludicrous activities. What a waste of time, love."

"Life is the flower for which love is the honey," he said.

"And you thought I was the one who liked someone?", Vishaka smiled cheekily.

"Well, that's a story for another day," Ambar grinned.

"Ugh, come on dada, can you not confide in your dear, little sister?"  Vishaka pouted.

Ambar opened his mouth to tell Vishaka about his matters when the door knocked, and the lady-maid came in with a scroll and a tray covered with a cloth.

Darn lady-maids.

The maid then lifted the piece of cloth revealing a tray full of ornaments and heavy jewelery. Every piece was crafted to perfection, containing the famous Hanik sapphires studded on them.

Vishaka was speechless. She grazed her hand over the cold, precious, metals and stared at it's brilliance. She gestured them to be placed on the dresser along with the other ornaments. She opened the scroll after breaking the gleaming dark blue wax, on which two giant tridents were etched.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

To the Princess of Vihala,