14: Thrill and Run

(Foxy's POV)

Once the mountain began caving in, Foxy realized he had to move.

It was as though he couldn't. As though his entire existence had been yanked right out of him. He couldn't move, or at least he felt like it.

He knew the horrible situation they were in. Freddy was in the middle of the mountain field as it crumbled. On the other side stood Chica, seemingly frozen in place like Foxy.

Foxy wanted to get up. His muscles were completely drained of ability. He couldn't even scream to Freddy to get out of the large field. His lungs and throat felt frozen in place.

Was Foxy trapped?

He only watched with horror as Jonathan shot dozens upon dozens of his purple energy at a helpless Freddy. Each blast narrowly missed Freddy as he hopped along the crumbling mountain. Why wasn't he using his wings? Maybe he had forgotten he had them.

Foxy had to scream to Freddy. He wanted to. He had to. Unfortunately, he couldn't. How truly strong was Jonathan?

"Foxy, we need to get up!" a voice called from behind him. A few moments after, he felt hands grabbing his arms. Foxy drooped as he was lifted into the air. He was limp, but he was aware of his surroundings. He soon knew who was carrying him.

"Ben . . ." he croaked. Suddenly, his heart leapt with joy. He could talk again! He tried moving, but his muscles refused. Foxy was filled with a bucket of fear. He couldn't move, which meant that he couldn't use his power.

"Foxy, I told Bonnie to take care of Jonathan. We need to get out of here." Ben still pulled Foxy along.

Foxy looked at Bonnie, who was catapulting her power at Jonathan. She seemed to be doing surprisingly well, as Jonathan got hit a few times.

That didn't stop Jonathan from his attempts to destroy her.

A large purple glob darted through the air at Bonnie.

Foxy yelled, "Get out of the way!"

The ball got closer to her. She put her arms up. An electric purple field sprang up in front of her. Jonathan's energy collided with the field of energy. As it made contact, it flashed brightly. In quicker time than Foxy could comprehend, Bonnie was flying backward.

Even Foxy could feel the energy. Ben still pulled him along.

Foxy needed to move. He couldn't.

(POV Switch to Chica)

Chica could only watch.

She couldn't run, as she could have the risk of dying. She couldn't help Freddy, as that would have an equal outcome. What could she do?

Freddy had wings. He had to help her.

"Freddy!" Chica screamed. She wanted to yell for him to take her to the other side of the field, but what would she say? "You're forgetting someone!" Definitely not. So, she left it at screaming his name.

Sure enough, that got Freddy to look back at her. His face filled with realization.

Freddy spread his wings wide, forcing them downward. His hold on the cracking and crumbling mountain releasing.

Luckily, Jonathan was occupied with trying to defeat Foxy and Bonnie, as he sent a continuous stream of purple energy at Bonnie. Freddy could make it as long as Jonathan was preoccupied.

Freddy soared across the landscape, his eyes fixed on Chica. He could make it. Chica knew that he could.

All of that changed as quick as the flap of a wing.

Jonathan's head snapped in their direction. Chica's stomach twisted with nervousness.

The purple man's beam instantly redirected toward Freddy. Screaming, Freddy twisted and spun in midair, the beam narrowly missing him over and over.

He couldn't make it.

Unless Chica ran.

Letting her thoughts fly away, Chica sprinted down the hill, watching as the cracks of the mountain trailed up at her. Her legs rapidly pounded the amber grass, the stalks brushing her jeans.

She could hear screaming from Bonnie, pointed in her direction, but it was muffled by distance.

Nothing could stand in her way. She only kept her gaze on the flying Freddy. He got closer, the purple beams of power missing Freddy each time.

The sinkhole grew larger, swallowing rocks into its pitch black depths. Tears almost released from her eyes from the exhaustion and pressure to survive.

Freddy ate the distance to Chica, gliding quickly across the empty sinkhole, racing it as it opened more and more.

Chica's lungs were itchy. She wanted to cough with every stride, but she couldn't. She wouldn't allow herself to.

The edge of the sinkhole was only a few paces away, as well as Freddy. There was no turning back now.

With a yell, Chica's toes hit the edge of the crumbling sinkhole. She pushed off with all of her might, gaining good height and length. Freddy was right there, stretching out a hand to Chica. She was airborne, her fingers stretching to Freddy's hand.

Suddenly, a purple blast of energy exploded above Freddy. His eyes widened as his hand trailed off to the side. Chica would have followed Freddy's hand to the side, but it was too late.

Chica's hand scraped the air as she took a sharp breath. Her descent into the sinkhole was imminent.

(POV Switch to Freddy)

Freddy grunted as his legs were hit with the purple energy. He flew off to the side, only watching as Chica dropped into the sinkhole.

"CHICA!" he screamed. He looked up at Jonathan with a look of pure hatred. Rage propelling him to his feet, he spread his wings, flapping them downward.

Again, Jonathan's whispery voice sounded in Freddy's ears. He almost stopped flying, but he still soared across the sinkhole and dropped inside of it.

"You children . . . so arrogant. Your drive is to keep everyone you love alive. To save who you can. Such stupidity. You are all kites dancing in a hurricane. Puppets tangled in strings. You will all just be so . . . dumbfounded. Just picture it: thousands of people dead, simply because you don't give me what I need . . ." A salty laugh filled Freddy's ears as he zoomed downward. "Be free from the truth that no one will know."

Freddy ignored the words of Jonathan. He plummeted down, giving his wings the occasional beat so that he could gain speed downward. His wings gave off a weak brown light. He could see the sinkhole walls, but he couldn't yet see Chica.

Then, he could see a figure. Her eyes were wide with fear, pupils dilated. Her blonde hair flailed in all directions.

Freddy reached his hand out to her, tears tracing his temples. She reached out to him as he reached to her. For a fleeting moment, their hands were separated. Then, his fingers touched hers. They fluttered for a moment before he finally grasped onto her wrist.

He flapped his wings downward and slowed their fall. The wind that slashed his face turned to more of a brush feeling. Soon, it slowed to a simple caress. He held her wrist tightly as he listened to the whistle of rock falling around them, the sound gradually getting more and more distant.

Mustering his strength, Freddy pulled Chica up to him, holding onto her. Her eyes were level with his. Even in the brown light her eyes were brilliant.

He held onto her back with one arm, her arms wrapped around his waist.

"Thanks, Freddy," Chica gratified.

Freddy smiled. "Hold on tight, alright?" He looked up to the small dot that resembled the opening of the sinkhole.

Her hold on his waist tightened as Freddy flapped his wings, flying up to the surface.