𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒

Start bij het begin

I storm out of the ballroom without another word.

˚ʚ ˚✧.

"Princess?" Sofia knocks on my door.

"Go away, please," I mumble into my pillow.

I've been sulking in my room for three days, not even bothering to go out. I've had meals delivered to me in bed, and I haven't seen anyone. Not even Alex. But he is still standing outside my door at all times, so there's that.

"You can't hide in your room forever, you know," Sofia says behind the closed door.

Sighing, I decide to get up and open the door for her. She enters, and I can see Alex out of the corner of my eye, but he doesn't look at me.

I close the door behind us before going back to my bed, sitting so I can hear what Sofia has to say.

"I heard about what happened at the ball."

I can't help but roll my eyes. "Hasn't everyone?"

Sofia nods, then sits down on the edge of my bed. "Your parents love you, Princess. They know what is best for you."

I scoff, getting up to pace the room. "You think this is what's best for me? Being forced to marry someone I don't even want to be with? Have you seen Marco? He's a pig!"

Sofia frowns. "You do not have to call him such names. He is your fiancé now."

I pause my pacing and turn to face my handmaid, my fists clenched. "Why should I show him any respect when he doesn't show me any? No one is even considering what I want."

"Look, I know this is difficult for you, but you just need to accept it."

Is she serious right now?

"No," I snap. "I am not just going to accept this. I am going to do something to get my freedom back."

"Your Highness, please," Sofia continues. "You cannot keep putting yourself through this. You need to accept the fact that your father's decision is final and move on. You cannot keep shutting everyone out."

I scoff again. "Easy for you to say, Sofia. You don't have to marry an arrogant, disgusting man like I do."

"Princess, I understand that you are upset, but you cannot let your anger and frustration fester like this. You must learn to accept it."

I stare at Sofia for a moment before finally getting up from my bed. "Fine," I concede. "I will try to be more open to the idea, but I will never forgive my father for what he has done to me."

Sofia nods in understanding. "That is all I ask, Princess. I believe it is time for us to get some fresh air. I have arranged for a carriage ride for us to enjoy the scenery outside the castle."

I shrug, still feeling jaded about the situation. "Alright, but let's just get this over with," I reply, still annoyed.

I follow Sofia out of my bedroom, Alex on my heels as usual, and down the grand staircase to the front door. The carriage is waiting for us outside, with the horse and driver already ready.