Ch 7: Some Confusing Clearance - A Complication in the Compound

AN: I have been reading a lot of comments for my previous chapters that I was like "Yep, beautiful" and answering nice, happy comments to, particularly in the last chapter. All the time, I wrote one (though still true) answer to each while my insides screamed "I my God, they are all soooo gonna hate me when they read the next chapter!" Well, fair warning, guys: This is it! And I understand if you guys wanna stop read now, but the truth is, it is a realistic portrayal if have seen in real life more than once. I am sorry, but this is how it is. So, I am sorry. But this is how my story continues. 

It was once again morning and Rhodey heard the sound he heard on his first day back: the clings and clangs of kitchenware and sound of talking and laughter at about five in the morning. This time, though, Rhodey did not expect any danger and did not feel like there was anything to worry about. And while his agenda hardly seemed changed, it was a meaningful difference to Rhodey: He wanted to find out more about May and Tony, particular in relationship to Tony and Pepper. It was quite surprising for Rhodey how enamoured Pepper was with May and Peter considering Peter was Tony's and May's kid and May stole Tony from Pepper in a sense. It was worrisome how much he must have missed not to know how this started.

"Hey, FRIDAY?", Rhodey requested.

"Yes, Colonel?"

"Who is currently in the kitchen?", he enquired. "And who is all awake? What is everyone doing?"

FRIDAY answered quickly: "Miss Potts is currently in the kitchen preparing breakfast for everyone while on the phone. Mr Parker and Miss Parker are preparing themselves for the day in their rooms. Boss is coming back from his office where he was dealing with an emergency situation at SI on the phone. Mr Hogan is making his way up to the kitchen from the parking lot. Do you want me to take a message? Maybe request a specific breakfast item from Miss Potts?"

"No, thank you. I prefer to go to the kitchen myself. I'll be there soon."

Rhodey did not bother to shower or put on clothes, he immediately went to the kitchen in his pyjamas. He heard laughter and went to the door, to feel like someone punched him in the gut with an Iron Man suit.

Tony and Pepper stood in the middle of the kitchen, kissing each other on the mouth, hugging tightly, clearly in love. Clearly back together.

Rhodey felt sick. He always loved Tony like a brother. Like something so deep, he never would have seen this like this. He saw all of Tony's mistakes. He knew his faults and weaknesses better than anyone else on the planet. He would have never expected Tony to be a cheater. He had been a playboy with no safe relationship, hardly trusting anyone, after everything he went through. Ty in particular had broken Tony, a situation Rhodey had not forgiven himself to miss for so long, even if he had been in another country. But Tony was clear on his relationships: he either was a clear and obvious playboy, no strings attached, or he was 100% with either Pepper or now May.

Or so Rhodey assumed. But now, Tony was kissing his ex-girlfriend while his current girlfriend was in another room in this house, preparing herself and their son for school. Tony was having an affair. He was cheating. It was impossible for Rhodey to fit his head around this clear fact he could see in front of his eyes. His stomach felt queasy, ready to give in. His best friend, his brother in all but blood, was cheating on Rhodey's nephew's mother with Rhodey's other best friend who happens to be Tony's ex. Rhodey did not know what to do. Whom should he protect first? His two best friends or his nephew and his potential sister-in-law? And how would he do that? What can he do at all? What are his options? He cannot just betray his best friend, his brother in all but blood, can he? But it is about protecting his nephew and his nephew's mother!

Rhodey felt lightheaded. It was what felt like the biggest dilemma in his life. He always loved Tony and Pepper as family, higher than he could ever even explain to anyone. He loved them like he loved Beck and Sammy. He felt like he needed to protect them. But he started to love May and Peter, too. Loved them like he loved Tony and Pepper, in a way. He felt just as responsible. He felt he needed to protect them. Like he should have protected his younger brother. They should feel safe and supported like his sister should have always felt but hasn't in decades. He wanted to do what is right for them.