Shrek's big secret

(Ok so this is a lot more emotional in my head, but I just don't know how to put it into words? Just pretend this is really well written okay?)

Fiona looked at Shrek and Shrek looked back at her. Shrek felt his heart sink as he realized what Fiona might think of him, how would she react to finding out all these years of marriage were for nothing? Shrek could never truly love Fiona, not romantically at least. "Alright, it's about time I tell you the truth..." Shrek said.

Fiona was thinking the worst, what could make them so distant? How did all the other couples seem so much closer? What was Shrek hiding? Was he sick? Had he just fallen out of love?? Was he cheating???
Fiona shook her head, she should not worry about what might be, she just had to hear Shrek out.

"I don't know how you will react to this, even more so if you knew how long I've hidden it from you, I just hope you don't hate me for it..." Shrek looked at Fiona with tears in his eyes, "I can't love you Fiona. I've tried to act like I could for your sake and for that of the kids but the truth is..." he sighed and looked away for a moment before finishing the sentence. Finally he spoke.

"I'm Gay."

Shrek looked at Fiona, she was clearly sad but she also seemed relieved. "I understand..." Fiona smiled a little "I probably should have known, you're the closest I've ever been to someone." Shrek smiled slightly "Can we still be friends?" Fiona asked "of course"  Fiona hugged Shrek, even if they wouldn't be together Fiona was happy to have Shrek around.

"I guess there's going to be a lot of changes happening around here..." Fiona sighed. "Yeah, but I think we can handle it."