I turn.

What is he doing?

Alexis pulls away from Noah.

“What?” she asks.

“You heard me” he goes.

“What exactly are you trying to say here, Derek?” Colton asks.

Yes, what was he doing?

“I'm saying that my niece is in this state because of her” he accuses.

“Okay Rikki, let's not be...”.

He brushes past Amber and moves a bit closer to Alexis.

“You're not very good at your job”.

I frown.

“Can't you see how my niece has suffered enough already? And now this?” he shakes his head.

“Derek stop it” Colton growls.

“Why? Because it's her fault she can't do her job, right? How could you not fix an obvious problem like that? You were waiting for someone to get hurt first?” Derek asks.

“I think that's enough” Noah frowns.

Derek glares at him.

“Maybe if she did her job well, I wouldn't be forced to call her shit out”.

Noah growls and steps up to Derek who steps back as Noah looms over him.

“Stop it” Alexis cuts in front of him.

I see the fire in his eyes immediately go down.

“I can fight my own battles,” she tells him and turns to my brother. “I don't know what happened, but I assure you, that wall was as solid as the great wall of China. I checked it, double-checked it, and it's been marked safe in the folder. I've walked past those halls a million times and not once did I see even a crack. So I don't know how or why that wall fell”.

“Well it did, okay? And now innocent children are hurt”.

“And I feel terrible about it, believe me,” Alexis sobs.

Derek glares at her.

“Well, you're going to have to spend a lot more time fixing that wall and triple-checking everything else so you don't cause more harm than you've already done”.

Alexis nods and lets out a breath.

“I'm not leaving until everything's done right” she assures.

Then it hits me. I look at my brother.

That jerk!

“I think apportioning blames isn't going to help anyone right now,” the doctor says. “Right now, I need all of you to go home and get some rest. The children will be fine. No one's going to be allowed to see them right now so please. Goodnight”.

He bows a little and walks out of the waiting room. Alexis lets out a louder sigh and wipes away her tears.

“I'm not going to be able to sleep at all knowing all of this is my fault” she shakes her head.

Noah rubs her back and I glance at my brother.

“You should go,” she tells Noah.

“Not without you”.

“Noah...” she sighs, pulling away from him. “I didn't expect to be spending Milton's birthday with him at the hospital. So not now, please”.

He matches her desperate look.