CHAPTER FIVE: PENDING PENALTIES

POV:
MACKY

Oh my God. Tell me this is some sick joke. So not only did Figgy just bust my nose-- but guess what I heard him and Avocet talking about when I got back?
.
Court.
.
They were talking about court. Idunno about Figgy, but I was feeling sick just thinking about standing before a judge. To be honest, I couldn't really decide what was worse: standing before a judge-- or facing Mr Reynolds' whiplash later down the line. Both scenarios were enough to cause me a sleepless night. I felt ancey just thinking about it. What if...when we get to jail-- they bunk me and Figgy together? I think im taking a liking to this new nickname I've given him, but either way-- I swear on Gabriels grave if I get locked up with Figgy...

No- I've decided that that's something I can't even think about, thinking about it might really, actually make me sick.

I sat down on my cot and sighed.

"We're going to court tomorrow, Mack., you and me." Said Figgy, "Ain't that awful?"

"It sure is." I looked at Avocet after I'd replied to the junkie. Avocet sat on her cot in obvious deep thought, her chin, resting in her palms. Really, it looked like she could've been crying. But ... knowing Avocet, that's just not likely. With all these cops and cameras on us-- Avocet wouldn't dare to give them the 'satisfaction' of her tears. Or at least-- she always says something along those lines.

Avocet does not like police. She can't stand them. She says that for every one good cop out there, there are three bad ones. Personally, I don't hate the police, but then again, I didn't get my face chewed off by a police dog. I don't get stopped while driving. I don't get stared at when I walk in the store either.

Stared down by security, I'm clarifying.

Avocet gets looks from the police when she chooses not to wear her realistic face. She has two other faces, one that she wears to work as a clown, one white one, it's an uh..., feminine face, but it's all white. It's a little unsettling in my opinion-- but she likes it. That's all that matters.

Ouch. My nose. It hurts, thanks, Figgy. Thanks so much.

What was I talking about again? I got sidetracked. Oh, jail. Court. Yeah. We're going to court tomorrow. I'm going to assume my sentence won't be as heavy as Figgy's because y'know, I didn't kill a kid. Avocet brought herself over to the side of her cell and spoke with me.

"I don't understand why I'm being dragged into this." She began, "Well, I do. But this is just too much."

"Well you aren't going to court tomorrow are you?" I replied, leaning into the cold iron bars.

"Now, I'm going to be interrogated. Avocet rolled her eye. "Interrogated! Mack- this woman stopped me on the steps 'cause I was 'suspicious'."

"How?"

"Cause I was there early and my face was covered. She act like she couldn't see the nametag on my dress-I- I'm so sick of this shit! This ain't nothing but shit! It's shit! All of it! I shouldn't be here!"

"Avocet...," I quietly replied, honestly... just trying to find a place to slide into the conversation-without possibly getting trampled by her agitation.

"Why-"

"Let me talk for a second, Avocet." I said firmly and politely, yet directly, shutting her up. She looked at me. I glanced at Charles for no reason in particular. He smiled and continued to destroy his nails. I turned back to my one and only employee and said, "Yeah I get we're all on thin ice, Figgy and I are basically already in the water. But you aren't. You legitimately haven't done anything. Questioning is questioning. You're fine. " I paused, "Not fine. But uh, fine-er than Figgy and me."